5.9 from a generator.....will it work for parts?

rockytopcummins

I've gotten the green light to pull a timing gear cover, P7100 and all other parts I may need for a conversion from a generator FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!! I know the pump won't be set right for a vehicle but I want to get it checked out before it goes on the truck anyway. Can a pump shop modify it to work or is it not woth it?

Are you sure it's a p7100? Just because it's an inline pump doesn't mean its a p7100.........

I bet the pump is a P3000 at best... And if its rear gear train I'm not sure the timing gear cover will work either. Matter of fact I'm betting it won't

got a picture you can post up of the gen motor? might help some guys know what you would be workin with and be able to better help ya out?

any luck on that picture? did the motor goes south or what? just wonderin why your lucky enough to get the parts for free lol

Well I guess I got a little too excited when I saw the inline pump. Turns out it's actually 8.3L. I got some numbers off the pump and someone told me it's a "3000 series" pump. According to the source of the info it would work but would not work nearly as well as a pump off a truck motor as far as responding to mods. To answer you about free parts, they're military gen sets waitin to go to the dump. I talked to the guys running the generator shop and they said if it takes too long to get replacement parts they just scrap them and get a new one. According to them, the ones I was looking at had nothing wrong with the motor and they were running when taken out of service, just the electricity producing side of it tore up. There's some of the big boys out there that have HX80 turbos that I'm looking to get a couple of them.

So is it worth pulling off and sendin home? I can get three or four of em.

If its free, I would get anything you can. (My wife does not share my view on that. ;)) You might be able to use the delivery valves. If nothing else you have some thing to sell or trade.

would any of the front cover stuff work for a 5.9?

I know the timing housings are different on the 8.3 and I'm pretty sure the injection pump drive gear is different also. I think it is larger.

If its free, I would get anything you can. (My wife does not share my view on that. ;)) You might be able to use the delivery valves. If nothing else you have some thing to sell or trade.

I know the timing housings are different on the 8.3 and I'm pretty sure the injection pump drive gear is different also. I think it is larger.

yeah after i did some deeper diggin i found that the front cover wont work. would the pump itself work or no?

yeah after i did some deeper diggin i found that the front cover wont work. would the pump itself work or no?

A pump from an 8.3 would possibly work. It would need to have an RQV or RQV...K automotive governor. Depending on the application it came from the fuel inlet and overflow might be in a different position than what it would be on a Dodge. Nothing that can't be dealt with. BTW many
P7100's on 8.3 C engines have 191 delivery valves stock.

Where did you find that info, I always thought they would work?

Last edited:
A pump from an 8.3 would possibly work. It would need to have an RQV or RQV...K automotive governor. Depending on the application it came from the fuel inlet and overflow might be in a different position than what it would be on a Dodge. Nothing that can't be dealt with. BTW many
P7100's on 8.3 C engines have 191 delivery valves stock.

According to some information another member gave me, it's not a P7100, it's an inline pump like one but he says it's what they call a "3000 series" pump. I may have sourced what I need though. I found a couple Dodge trucks they use on the flight line that are slated to be scrapped. They're the REALLY short wheelbase trucks, kinda like tugs. '97 models I believe, with automatic transmissions, that should be the 215 pump shouldn't it?

Last edited:
According to some information another member gave me, it's not a P7100, it's an inline pump like one but he says it's what they call a "3000 series" pump. I may have sourced what I need though. I found a couple Dodge trucks they use on the flight line that are slated to be scrapped. They're the REALLY short wheelbase trucks, kinda like tugs. '97 models I believe, with automatic transmissions, that should be the 215 pump shouldn't it?
Auto trucks never had 215 pumps.
Can we keep the unhelpful comments to a minimum? Thanks.

We can't make any promises.

Back