5.9 mud racer

Hey man we sure could have used u at the last pull I drive the black regular cab and I was tellin u about my new setup of twins and its gettin hot to so gonna go bigger on the top turbo I hope to see u at the next midsouth pull u will have to check out the results they are posted and the blue mega cab is still whoopin our tails don't forget ur weight u will need it

Merric "MCummings", I am sorry I had my assistant type up that real quick last night while I was working on an engine. She misunderstood what she has been seeing at the shop. I do freeze the bottles so I can put more NOS in them when I refill them, however when I get to a race I actually have heaters pads that I put them on to get them hot enough to maintain 1000-1200 psi of pressure in the bottles. She also misunderstood because I keep them out of the sun before the race. Sorry for the confusion on her part. As for what else I have done, I have a billit cam, a fully ported and pollished head, with a sheet metal intake.

Chester

Merric "MCummings", I am sorry I had my assistant type up that real quick last night while I was working on an engine. She misunderstood what she has been seeing at the shop. I do freeze the bottles so I can put more NOS in them when I refill them, however when I get to a race I actually have heaters pads that I put them on to get them hot enough to maintain 1000-1200 psi of pressure in the bottles. She also misunderstood because I keep them out of the sun before the race. Sorry for the confusion on her part. As for what else I have done, I have a billit cam, a fully ported and pollished head, with a sheet metal intake.

Chester

No problem. This is the internet, where misunderstandings come first...

Well, it sounds like you pretty much already have alot of air.

You have surpassed my knowledge, now I will sit back, watch, and learn. I plan on doing a similar engine build soon, but with a cranked up 12mm pump instead.

Merrick

glad to see you here tnunnelee ;) i just read your youtube message... you gotta put up a couple more videos for us to see :rockwoot: and i'm curious as to why you say that your truck isn't liking water too much? i have no experience with water/meth or straight water....
and i'd agree with everyone else on the more air part!!! any idea what size turbo you got?

Very Nice !!

A buddy of mine is into mud racing too. But just drags 300ft in 2 sec I think

Old truck

custcar8.jpg

I guess you are along ways away from N. IL. but if your feelin like a road trip just give me a heads up. They have a big event the 4 of july weekend. But back to the engine... one the water the best I can come up with is your spraying to much???? or the NOS and water dont like one another.. Cut the water and turn down the fuel some and more NOS??? just some ideas, I have not delt with the bottle much yet. Good luck and also lets see those videos!!!*nx*

Wow...so many responses. I sure appreciate all the interest in what I am doing here. Glad you folks are willing to help. A little info about the engine, I have P7100 with 13m injector pumps, I don't know ALOT about the turbo except its a single large turbo with a 60m waste gate. And answer to your question "smokin5.9", I do have a water injection system installed but the engine doesn't like it for some reason. Something else I forgot to mention is that I am running NOS in this truck (get it as cold as I can get the bottles before each race). I am afraid the dual turbo is probably out of the question because the AMRA is scratching their heads on weather I can race or not. Alot of other drivers are complaining because the AMRA are not allowing turbos on the gas/alcohol trucks.
Which is what "Not Enoughsmoke" was talking about with me swapping engines (I am very impressed you remember me telling you about that.) I did that engine swap because AMRA could not decide if they were going to let me race or not. Heck not going to build a 30k motor just to have them let me run it once and say "no more". So I pulled my pulling motor and ran it and THAT is the one you see on the Speed channel video. There were alot of gas/alcohol racers upset before I ran that race, but it was so amazing to see, that AMRA could not deny its popularity...(did you notice they interviewed me after the race and not the guy who won the race, ha ha). And the fact that I lost stopped alot of the complaining.
I do have my pull truck ready and plan on coming up to Sugar Shack and really wanting to try and make it to one of "toobadq"'s pulls. Its tough for me to make it with work though, "smokin5.9" I am located in the very bottom of Arkansas, my shop is a mile from Louisiana state line. So its quite a drive, but so worth it to run with you folks.

Thanks again for all of your support
Chester

sounds like you need a bigger charger if you cant do twins. maybe a cam and a little head work too. just to help get better air folw in and out of the engine.

what psi do you have you water/meth kicking on at? my truck hates it if i inject below 20psi of boost.

who cares if you have forced induction?! your engine turns half the rpm of your competitors.

just my $.02

those who are saying it needs more air have not worked on an engine like this.

on the dyno and on the track when we have heat issues we add more fuel (with duration from the pump not injector) when ever we remove fuel the egt's get away from us and when it is added it comes down

the 2.8 motors that cannot run water have to have the fuel set right or they will burn up. and if they are lean they will get really hot.

example would be we make a dyno pass with the 2.8 reducer and 600cc's and it makes good power and egts are manageable, the reducer is removed it adds 100 hp but egt surpass 1800*. according to most the egt should be reduced because the motor is ingesting more air. now we add 50cc of fuel the power stays the same and the egts come down to 1400*

it goes against the diesels cant run lean theory but it is the reality of a high rpm diesel.

however since this engine can run water it probably needs a proper multi nozzel setup. and if your spending that kind of coin on an engine I highly recomend setting it up on a engine dyno you can get the max horsepower out of it and have your fuel and water and timming set right to where you wont have to mess with it all year and it will live.

gotta 12v u lost me why do "2.8" motors run on completely differnet prinicples(the whole egts come down as more fuels added thing ) then other diesels like lets say mine?

dont take it the wrong way, and im not saying just 2.8 motors but race diesel motors.

Im saying stock you add some fuel and the egts increase, so you add a turbo charger and it comes back down. that doesnt exactly work like that in a high rpm diesel.

in my experience with our motors if you add air you must increase the fuel the keep egts in control. 600cc's with a 2.8 will run cool where 600cc's with a 3.0 will get hot. extra fuel added via duration from the pump will help cool the cylinder temp with no adverse affect on the horsepower

the common theory of add more air to cool the temp does not work. Banks s10 truck for example runs very lean. the air fuel ratio is probably close to that of a stock cr engine (to run with no smoke) however the cylinder temps are so great that it burns holes through the pistons. that engine with some added fuel duration would run cooler, the side affect however would be visable carbon emmissions

gotta 12v u lost me why do "2.8" motors run on completely different principles(the whole egts come down as more fuels added thing ) then other diesels like lets say mine?

I have neveer worked on a motor of this magnitude, but, to me what it sounds like is that the motor is on teh verge of putting the fire out.

It's kinda operating like a gasser where it's running so rich, it's actually running cooler.

Lean a gasser out, and it makes more power, but the EGT/cylinder temp go to the moon....

To me, it sounds like they are actually using the fuel to cool EGT's.
An all out race motor,, not a Daily driver.

Merrick

those who are saying it needs more air have not worked on an engine like this.

on the dyno and on the track when we have heat issues we add more fuel (with duration from the pump not injector) when ever we remove fuel the egt's get away from us and when it is added it comes down

the 2.8 motors that cannot run water have to have the fuel set right or they will burn up. and if they are lean they will get really hot.

example would be we make a dyno pass with the 2.8 reducer and 600cc's and it makes good power and egts are manageable, the reducer is removed it adds 100 hp but egt surpass 1800*. according to most the egt should be reduced because the motor is ingesting more air. now we add 50cc of fuel the power stays the same and the egts come down to 1400*

it goes against the diesels cant run lean theory but it is the reality of a high rpm diesel.

however since this engine can run water it probably needs a proper multi nozzel setup. and if your spending that kind of coin on an engine I highly recomend setting it up on a engine dyno you can get the max horsepower out of it and have your fuel and water and timming set right to where you wont have to mess with it all year and it will live.

everything you've said is true to a certain extent... adding more fuel will lower EGTs if you already have too much fuel... if that makes any sense... hard to get my thoughts into words... if you have enough air than adding fuel will increase your EGTs... BUT if you add even more fuel those EGTs will come down, but spool up time will increase and you will lose a small amount (or a large amount if the turbo can't spool to the old boost pressures) of power... so if you have no restrictions to turbo size then adding more air instead of more fuel is much better at lowering EGTs as well as making more power... plus you won't lose the spool-up time due to over-fueling, though on the flipside you'll lose some spool-up time due to the larger charger...
i hope all of this made sense

the common theory of add more air to cool the temp does not work. Banks s10 truck for example runs very lean. the air fuel ratio is probably close to that of a stock cr engine (to run with no smoke) however the cylinder temps are so great that it burns holes through the pistons. that engine with some added fuel duration would run cooler, the side affect however would be visable carbon emmissions

actually the banks truck burned holes through the pistons due to the extremely high rpms and the associated high injection pressures, it had nothing to do with temperature (based on memory, the banks guys can correct me if i'm wrong)

if you add even more fuel those EGTs will come down, but spool up time will increase and you will lose a small amount (or a large amount if the turbo can't spool to the old boost pressures) of power.

From what I understand, Enterprise runs a valet type switch just for this reason. Limits fuel on spool-up, then allows full fueling once the turbo's light.

Merrick

From what I understand, Enterprise runs a valet type switch just for this reason. Limits fuel on spool-up, then allows full fueling once the turbo's light.

Merrick

i can definitely see something like that working, and i can definitely see why the pullers over-fuel to keep temps down, cause they can't use a bigger turbo so all they can do is keep the temps down and keep power roughly the same

Back