53 Block Class action lawsuit

I got mine today. Looked if I saw anything. Looked by the oil cooler and nothing so that's good for me.

I think that is just opening up a big can of worms. If people win a lawsuit over a 10+ year old out of warranty engine then how many other things are people going to start trying to sue over. Seems like fuel for the lawsuit fire

I think that is just opening up a big can of worms. If people win a lawsuit over a 10+ year old out of warranty engine then how many other things are people going to start trying to sue over. Seems like fuel for the lawsuit fire

I agree that the lawsuit wagon is out of control. However, an issue like this is pretty legitimate. Cummins/Dodge knew about the problem right away, but refused to take care of the issue. If there were no known issues until 10 years later, then I wouldn't agree with a lawsuit. The lack of an extra zero behind the claim amount is the biggest issue I see with this.

IIRC from when mine originally cracked a few years ago, Cummins offered a new block with all new gaskets/bearings/etc if a Cummins shop did the work (I had to pick up the labor, though.. and that estimate was $5k+). If the work was done anywhere else, they would not provide anything other than a $500 reimbursement.

After reading through the claim application, it looks like a joke and a waste of time. They'll be able to weasel their way out of most claims since people won't be able to provide the B.S. proof that they are requiring.

Got one today aswell. Be nice if they made it more of a complete engine recall and just let the customer take the truck to a dealer and get a brand new engine (turbo to VP, valve cover to oil pan) installed for free with out all the legal hassel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, recalls are only required if it directly affects the safety of those in or around the vehicle. ie; starting fires, throttles sticking WOT, faulty seatbelts, etc. A block that leaks coolant is hardly a life or limb safety concern, unless you are laying under the block when its steaming hot catching the coolant with your mouth.

Just got one in the mail yesterday from a truck that we sold in 2001

I didn't get anything in the mail but i got a 53 and id like $500. They are not going to make this easy for us to receive money.

I got one yesterday. Neither of my 53 blocks have had any issues, knocking on wood...

Ive got a late 96 dually 5 speed here with a cracked block. Bought it at auction and driving home kept heating up. Found it was cracked when I pulled in to check out the situation. At first I thought it was a headgasket but it is surely in the block.

I got my notice today. $500 is a start and better than nothing, but I agree it looks like it would be pretty hard to give them the documentation needed to actually pay up. I am curious to see how this turns out so if anyone does turn in something then keep us posted on how it goes.

my buddy has an acount with our local cummins dealership and is going to trying get money for our blocks. well see how that goes.

Back