5R110

seriousdiesel

Just got an awesome deal on a 06 F-250 V-10 King Ranch with a blown up engine. My understanding is that this truck has the 5R110. How well do the 5R110 transmissions hold up? Any major problems, parts or pieces that need upgraded, Will they hold a 5-600 hp Cummins? This truck will be a daily driver, tow trailers, and plow snow. This will be my 4th conversion so I'm no stranger to that, but I am a stranger to the 5R110. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Nathan

kingranch3.jpg

kingranch2.jpg

kingranch.jpg

kingranch4.jpg

dont know if the v10s are the same as the 6.0s but the diesel version 5r110 will hold up. as long as they are programed properly.

Boy I hope so. Its in great shape. I see alot of good and bad about the 5R110 transmissions when it comes to conversions. I know they seem to be great behind the 6.0l ford. Guess Ill find out soon enough.

How do you plan to controll it? I am in the same situation right now. PCS makes a stand alone controller but i've yet to hear much about them other than they are slow shifting the 5R110. Also you loose the tow/haul with the PCS. That really doesn't matter to me but thought i'd let you know.

planned on PCS. Don't know of anything else out there, however I haven't done much looking. I know fordcummins.com has another controller but im not sure about it working with the 5R110. Im getting ready to put my first pcs on in a week or so. It is going in an excursion with a 12V and 4R100. Im really excited about it and cant wait to get started tuning it.

Hopefully in about 5-7 days I can give you feed back. I am doing an 04 F-250 with a 24v/5R110 and a PCS controller. Auto world tells me they have the programming down and they work great. I'll let you know as soon as I get it up and going.

Heck im still trying to get the 4R100 tuning down. Its going into OD & locking converter at 40MPH

Glad to hear some positive, so far all I have found are 5R110 haters. I think Ill leave the stock v10 converter which has around a 1700 rpm stall and leave the trans stock for now until I make sure It works out how I want. guess Ill find out shortly, Im picking up the truck tomorrow.

Nobody really thought the 5Rs would hold up behind higher powered motors until 6.4s came along. People started running 12s on a tune and stock tranny and opinions started changing. LOL

However, a stocker won't last forever obviously. It may surprise you though... I love 5Rs!

Glad to hear some positive, so far all I have found are 5R110 haters. I think Ill leave the stock v10 converter which has around a 1700 rpm stall and leave the trans stock for now until I make sure It works out how I want. guess Ill find out shortly, Im picking up the truck tomorrow.

What flex plate are you going to run? If you use a Destroked one, you will need a flat faced billet converter for them to bolt up unless Scott has came up with something else on his flex plates.

fordcummins.com makes adapt the factory convertor to the dodge flexplate thats pretty inexpensive. Im going to go that route until i make sure this is going to work out.

Nobody really thought the 5Rs would hold up behind higher powered motors until 6.4s came along. People started running 12s on a tune and stock tranny and opinions started changing. LOL

However, a stocker won't last forever obviously. It may surprise you though... I love 5Rs!

I dont in any way expect this thing to live forever stock. I just want to get the programming dialed in and then ill throw some upgrades in it. That way, if it happens to not work out I'm not out trans mods and a $1200 converter on top of the adapter and such.

The 6.4's have a 5r140 im pretty sure. correct me if im wrong and the 6.0's and that body stlye truck have a 5r110. The 5r140 is stronger.

I don't blaim you, Scott's is pricey, but it is really high quality.

I just like that I can use the stock converter for now. I have used a couple ford cummins adapters and the parts seem to be good. I have used a few pieces from scott too and it seemed to be good as well.

we just did a 12v swap and we are using the pcs controller with the 5r110 its works alright for us, upshifts great but it will bump pretty good going into reverse. really miss the tow/haul. there is a guy local here working on a controller not sure if he is gonna have the tow/haul workin

why cant you have tow haul? Doesnt the PCS have the capibility for 2 calibrations that can be changed on the fly? Is he PCS not capable of this with a 5R110?

the way i under stood the guy from fordcummins he can set it up to work alot like the tow haul mode but i dont know if it is all the time or if he is talking about hooking it up with the button, i am not sure..right now i am trying to tune it so it shifts better
the guy here is making his own controler and he said he may run it on ours as a test truck

The programming will be it's downfall. I have heard "We have the programming working now for the 5r" for awhile but ask anyone who tried it with anything more than a stock engine how it's working.

And I would not use that hack shop ford-cummins crap no matter what people say. The only barely adequate parts they make are the ones they poorly copied from Destroked.

Back