5X.016 too smokey?

gman99

Just looking for opinions here on what these 5X.016's should drive like. Just updated my sig to reflect everything currently done to the truck. My truck drives very well and I am extremely pleased with how it turned out overall other than the excessive smoke. My cruise egt's run between 500 to 600 and I have never seen them hit 1200 since finishing the turbo's and transmission a few weeks back.

I have tuned the smoke screw until it made the bottom end feel weak and bench set the afc for full fuel at 60psi. The initial takeoff is hazy then smokey unless I am just barely accelerating. If I manually shift it and let it rev to 2k before I give it any fuel it puffs black and then reaches 15 to 20 psi and then is a light haze up to speed. Bottom line is no combination of rev's and fuel will light the turbo's without smoking. Oddly enough once on top of the turbo's it runs pretty clean up to full boost.

Towing unfortunately is embarrassing with this thing. Pulling a 23ft boat it is pretty much smoking the entire time unless I am up to speed at 55mph or more. Now the thing is the egt's are always in check. Cruise 600 to 700 at 10 psi and never see over 900 in normal towing situations. Response is good power is good and no real complaints other than getting way too much unwanted attention.

So what say's CompD? Am I expecting too much from and old dinosaur or are these injectors the issue?

Ghostman,

Who's injectors if you don't mind my asking?

Weston - Infinite Performance.

My pump and AFC was also setup and balanced by Seth. I'm sure that's make a little difference also.

I also ran the 7mm comp DVs from Weston also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boost leak! I would start by pressure testing everything. You twins and fuel is a good match and a great towing setup.

I get a good puff taking off with a heavy trailer but I have a real tight convertor. It will fog heavy if you lay into it hard. I have a 160 pump which probably doesn't fuel as hard as yours. Max boost is around 65 lbs. I have no trouble with smoke after takeoff with a trailer but I don't hammer on it. Gross 20 to 24,000 most of the time.

It sounds like you need to play with the smoke screw and star wheel some more. I have 5x.018 injectors and I can drive around town over 1/2 throttle and smoke is barely visible at any time.
It's one of those things that you have to adjust, drive, adjust more, drive, etc. With enough patience, most of the smoke should be able to be tuned out.

My 98' daily driver is a nearly identical setup except I have an S480 as the big turbo in lieu of your S475. Also, I'm running a set of my 7mm +90cc delivery valves and not stock 181's. My truck runs pretty clean, even at the track, just a nice puff when I first touch the throttle or a heavy puff at the track when I go full throttle then it cleans right up.

How much total boost does your setup make? Have you performed a boost leak test? Do you have any exhaust leaks in the hot pipe or headgasket/manifold areas?

How are you controlling the wastegate on the HE351cw?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmsO4AEtMg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmsO4AEtMg[/ame]

Last edited:
CPSimpson

I checked and tested everything when I put it together. I am reasonably sure that the system in tight. I even built straps to hold the secondary to intercooler pipe in place. Blowing boots is a real kill joy.

B18B1LS1

I have a stock stall converter and it seems to work well overall. I am still adjusting the TV cable constantly as finding a happy medium between low throttle shift points and heavy acceleration shifting is hard to dial in.

BigBlue24

Yeah your use of the he351cw is what convinced me to go that route in my setup. It is far more responsive than my hx35 ever was. I actually took my hotpipe to my machinist to be planed as it had warped after welding the T6 flange inside and out. I have not seen any soot on any of the joints in 3 weeks of driving it. I built my own spring gate and have adjusted it many times. I have settled on two springs (one inside the other) that are pretty tight. I can hear it starting to crack at about 30psi under heavy throttle.

If my truck ran as clean as yours I would be thrilled.:woohoo:

I don't mind working and testing and changing one bit, that is part of the fun getting it all dialed in. I just wanted some input on my expectations for this truck.

Here is the spring gate.

[ame="http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/gsamplejr/media/IMAG1193_zpsilnxxac0.jpg.html"]IMAG1193_zpsilnxxac0.jpg Photo by gsamplejr | Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited:
Where are you located? Hot weather does have a play on smoke. I have a spring gate, to set it the way I want I unhook the cold pipe so the engine only runs on the 351. Setting it this way it seems 26 to 28 lbs. is the best for me. Some say it's not a true way to set it but it worked for me. Is your gate drilled out?

Mine hazes slightly at idle and cleans up once boost comes up.I have a 63mm instead of the 351cw now though,but still the same as before though.I run 22degrees,180hp pump benched by Brad Ponci,7mm dv and 5 x .016 by Weston.Like others said tuning may be off.My internal wastegate on 63 opens at 21psi (was 26psi on 351) and AFC full fuel at 40psi.

I've never had a spring gate setup work well for both adequate gate closure pressure for maximum puck sealing and great spoolup, along with adequate top-end flow for maximum power.

If I tune a spring gate for peak power, it spools slow due to a leaky wastegate puck. If I tune it for great spoolup, I hit a wall in the upper rpm where it doesn't flow enough for peak power because the gate flutters.

Installing a factory style wastegate actuator has provided excellent results on both of my trucks. I suggest you try it on your setup.

B18B1LS1

I am currently running a stock afc spring stretched way out, it is at full travel around 50 psi. I tried a stock governor spring and it coil bound 10mm before full travel so I switched back. The governor spring wasn't hitting coil bind until over 80psi was applied as well.

gwhammy

I live in Wilmington, NC. It has been pretty mild here so far, but I can tell a difference in smoke on a cool morning vs a hot afternoon for sure.

BigBlue24

I actually decided to go with the spring gate because it seems alot of guys with twins recommend them. I had heard that stock actuators had trouble controlling the puck with a ported and enlarged waste gate hole? I can see where a properly functioning stock waste gate would work better though. When my waste gate was loose the top end came on very strong and felt good. But I wasn't sure if that was because it was so doggy and then came on like a switch.

Unfortunately I clocked my compressor side to shorten the intercooler pipe, so the stock waste gate actuator mount no longer lines up. I am going to change over to the 7mm DV's once I get this thing running cleaner. After that I think I may take Bponci's approach and mill a flat spot on the side of the 351 turbine housing and bolt a 38mm 2 bolt style waste gate to it to help the top end. I probably should have just went that route to start but I wanted to see how it would do with the ported wastegate.

On a side note I let my truck come up to 2200 in 2nd then floored it and the darn truck pegged the boost gauge and ran cleaner than it usually does with moderate in town driving!?

Have you tried temporarily removing the afc boost line and seeing how much smoke is coming from pre-boost fuel and how much is coming in with boost?

I have not tried disconnecting the afc line yet. I will give that a shot to verify where my settings are at. Thanks for the idea.

I purchased them used and unfortunately do not know the original manufacturer. I got a good deal, there was a reason I guess.

I would get them popped and cleaned. And if there isn't too much damage to the nozzle, see if they can clean up pintle etc..

Back