6.0 Fuel in Oil!!

irontx25

Well, thought i had a typical HPOP failure.. and i guess it still may be. Truck crapped out on me coming home last night,died in mid stride. Figured it was HPOP related cause I had a no start when it was hot half hour before.Got cranked and headed out towards the house.Stopped at the store for smokes....left it running!!!!! Walked out and it was not running,,less than a minute in the store. Little Red Flag goes up!!!! Wouldnt crank. About 15 min later i got it to crank, Halled butt towards the house... 8 miles.... making the turn at the intersection at my road.... no power steering!!! OOOpps no power period.. Truck died again. This time i never got it cranked again. This morning it fired up. I shut it off real quick and started looking. At this point I started remembering everything that didnt seem right. Heres what i came up with.Noticed some kind of steam coming out from UNDER the degas bottle while it was hot and running yesterday. Also when it cut out on me at the store , I opened the oil cap and had the same kinda steam coming out.This morning I noticed the oil smelled kinda funny when I checked it. Couldnt really see anything wrong with the color. wasnt milky.Pulled the oil filter , thats when I saw it. Dripped some on my grill. Not Black.... Not new oil Brown.Kind of a blackish greenish... maybe brownish on the edges THIN syrup.Not the consistency of delo 400.Oh and I think I forgot .... the nice BLUE smoke I started getting at around 1500 rpm. Bad lack of power.Just got my motor back in a week or so ago.Studded/EGR delete.. Knew I had an injector acting up. Nothing like this though.So heres my question,will alot of fuel in oil make this thing cut out like a bad HPOP. What all can I screw up by running it. Was going to change the oil this evening , then drive to the dealership (about 9 miles)and get it scanned to see wich injector(s) is bad , drive it home and replace it.Wouldnt go anywhere if I had the right software to scan it myself. And of course there are no codes.... I figured there wouldnt be.Truck also seems like it is struggling to crank over.LKast time my HPOP went out it would fire over fast and easy... not the case this time. Ran both batts down pretty quick yesterday trying to start it.Oh and it looked like my steam coming out under the degas bottle was coming from th CCV...???? Love to hear Yalls input on this one.

I had a Injector the was putting fuel into my oil, Never had any probs with Starting or Driving it, Just had a miss.. But when mine went it was spectacular..it ranaway and made a mess of itself

funny thing is I had a miss till I tore my motor down. Now I have no miss but it started blue smoking...fuel in oil ( least it looks to be fuel to me).... Go figure

Oh yea... was also wandering if it could have been something I did re o-ringing or installing the injectors that could make something like this happen

Check and make sure it is fuel in oil. An easy way to do this is to take a paper towel and drip a couple of drips on it and wait. The fuel will form an outer ring while the oil will stay in the center. This trick should help identify whats in the oil.

Stop driving it for one. Turbo bushings do NOT like fuel in the oil. What did you torque the injectors to? If your answer is anything other than 26ft lbs. Start pulling the valve covers.

Stop driving it for one. Turbo bushings do NOT like fuel in the oil. What did you torque the injectors to? If your answer is anything other than 26ft lbs. Start pulling the valve covers.

26ft lbs sounds about right . Had a printout of the 6.0 bible with me when I torqued things down

Check and make sure it is fuel in oil. An easy way to do this is to take a paper towel and drip a couple of drips on it and wait. The fuel will form an outer ring while the oil will stay in the center. This trick should help identify whats in the oil.

OK did said test....... looks like oil with a greenish black ring around it...????? Does that denote fuel.....water.... not real sure what I should be looking for.

Its simple. Pressure always wins. Oil pressure is greater than coolant so oil goes to coolant. Fuel pressure is greater than crankcase pressure so fuel goes to oil. Fuel pressure is greater than coolant so fuel goes to coolant. If you check your oil and its several inches above full you have fuel in your oil. If you have an injector hanging open then it is washing down a cylinder wall.

Its simple. Pressure always wins. Oil pressure is greater than coolant so oil goes to coolant. Fuel pressure is greater than crankcase pressure so fuel goes to oil. Fuel pressure is greater than coolant so fuel goes to coolant. If you check your oil and its several inches above full you have fuel in your oil. If you have an injector hanging open then it is washing down a cylinder wall.

wont be able to compare dip stick reading.oil was low from the get go.Put 16 quarts in after I tore it down.Had it runnung long enough to figure out my tranny pump was gone.Just got it back Friday.Problems on Saturday.Checked oil and it was a quart low.Added a quart. Havnt run it .The guys at the tranny shop ran it a little, and I put about 150 miles on it . I just dont know HOW MUCH I had to run it before it was contaminated enough to give me problems.And of course I was so happy just to not be driving a cobalt loaner I forgot all about topping off my oil when I got it back:doh:

OK did said test....... looks like oil with a greenish black ring around it...????? Does that denote fuel.....water.... not real sure what I should be looking for.

Fuel is usually clear. Green usually goes towards coolant.

We would hope so.

yup... motorcraft....gold... am at the dealer now. Had it towed up here this morning to get it scanned. Tech cranks it up... looks at the blow by coming out of the oil fill tube and anounces " You have a smoked cylinder" ... no scan , didnt check the oil, coolant, nothing. Hmmmm I says. Not what I wanted to hear, Im not that easily scared though..... told him i was going to need some numbers ....hooked his lap top up then disapeared 1 minute later.... havnt seen him since... thats about right

Wow. Tell him to go dig the tool kit out from the back. There is a stand pipe that screws into the oil filler neck. Then get the magnahelic gauge and get a crankcase pressure reading. It's NOT the same tool as the 7.3L. Repeat they are NOT interchangable. If it has more pressure than spec, then worry about the block. If he doesn't know what tools I'm talking about. Find another dealer. Also mention he is retarded and feel free to kick him in the nuts.

Wow. Tell him to go dig the tool kit out from the back. There is a stand pipe that screws into the oil filler neck. Then get the magnahelic gauge and get a crankcase pressure reading. It's NOT the same tool as the 7.3L. Repeat they are NOT interchangable. If it has more pressure than spec, then worry about the block. If he doesn't know what tools I'm talking about. Find another dealer. Also mention he is retarded and feel free to kick him in the nuts.

We are more on the same page now!!!!! Had a " Come to Jesus " meeting . Let them know that I was in no way leaving my truck up there to be worked on. That I am paying to have some test run on it . Thats it!!!! Will be getting crank case pressure readings . Contribution test... blah blah so on and so forth. Am sick of this truck now:bang Am thinking the Huble Telescope would be easier to work on.

We are more on the same page now!!!!! Had a " Come to Jesus " meeting . Let them know that I was in no way leaving my truck up there to be worked on. That I am paying to have some test run on it . Thats it!!!! Will be getting crank case pressure readings . Contribution test... blah blah so on and so forth. Am sick of this truck now:bang Am thinking the Huble Telescope would be easier to work on.

Its just not something that takes kindly to printing a pdf from a forum and crossing your fingers. :poke:

Its just not something that takes kindly to printing a pdf from a forum and crossing your fingers. :poke:

Yup... oh well... said from the beginnng, am gonna fix it up right ,or kill the damn thing...starting to lean more towards the later I think:hehe: Extremely expensive way to learn your way around a 6.0.. Even still, all the guys that chimed in to give me a hand have been great. Looks like the one small problem I had turned into a HUGE problem real quick.Its my stupidity for not running the proper test before I did all this. Even still, I knew I had an injector problem and tried to short cut it. Took a gamble:badidea: Cant always dodge the bullet.......

Back