6.0 ran 3 gallon low

Brian Lent

Friend of mine has a 05 6.0 he was towing with. Said he heard a pop and smoke was pouring and no power. Continued to deliver the trailer 6 miles and then thought he would make it home. Started back and truck shut off. Towed it home and found it 3 gallon low on oil. Filled it with oil and now no start condition. I know almost nothing about the engine except basics. Told him to start looking at the turbo thinking thats where the oil went out the exhaust but he said it spun freely and no play from the front with intake off. No oil residue showing on downpipe clamp or in exhaust tip. 3 gallons should be easy to find right? Steer us in the right direction please.

I am surprised it would ever run being that low on oil. The start problem probably has something to do with the hpop

from phone

If it was starved for oil then it just needs some cranking time....but this sounds much more involved than that.

I can't believe it was still running but seen him put 3 gallons in and is now in op range. It was getting dark but he said that the smoke looked white. He had a new hpop put on by ford dealer about 6 months ago. would running it low on oil damage the hpop? Am I on the right track thinking the turbo was the first problem causing the smoke and low oil? Also the truck is 100% stock with no deletes. He was told to stud and delete it but now is thinking of going back to gasoline.

3 gallons? If it needed 12 quarts, just how much oil is a 6.oh-oh supposed to have?

I'm not sure but I think 15 16 qts maybe. Considering the fuel system, I can't believe it was running but that is the story.

The first thing I thought was that he is exaggerating but this is what I'm told. Anyway besides tnt how should we approach fixing this thing? Turbo first was my plan but again I know nothing about this truck except to stud and delete on the way home from purchase.

keep cranking, it will almost drain the batts down to nothing (sometimes needing a batt charger) before it will start on some trucks after doing a hpop, oil cooler, head gaskets, blah blah blah

Make sure oil is not puddled in intercooler. That turns it into a 5 k rpm screamer that dumps rods out the side of the block.

I did just read somewhere about having to fill the hpop backup takes awhile. The truck has 240k on it and like I said he just had ford put a new hpop on 6 months ago. He's not wanting to put too much more into it. Anyone know where a good stock turbo is on the cheap? If that is even the problem.

What is another possibility for the smoke/oil loss?

15 gts is correct. My guess is that it all went out the tailpipe from a blown seal or broken shaft etc. in the turbo. 3 gal of oil is alot to be missing without a puddle, or wildfire type smokescreen. However, if he drove the truck that far, with that little oil, and with that many miles on it, its probably done.

I know it's a no-no around here, but it sounds like the perfect opportunity for an inline conversion.

He mentioned the swap but Think he is trying to do as little as possible to get rid of it. I will let you know if it ever runs again.

pop and pouring smoke sounds like either intake pipe popped off or turbo. where was the smoke coming from, under hood, tailpipe, other? I wouldn't even order a turbo until I proved it bad. pull the turbo right out and fully inspect it. 3 gallons missing? you have to have an explanation of where it went before trying to run it again. keep looking, it went......somewhere

Sorry it's been awhile since i've been on. He had a guy somewhat familiar with the engines check it and has a turbo ordered waiting to go on. The truck did start after oil and long cranking to my surprise.

Back