6.0 run problem

Nkimmel2

got a new truck, 04 f350. 320k on it, had all injectors done, ficm replaced, not sure what else has been done. waiting on repair orders. at an idle runs it rather ruff. it also has a huffing sound like in the valley area... if you rev it up the huffing sound goes away and it seems to clean up some too. the only codes in it were for glow plug open circuit 2,4,6,8 also believe it had an air temp sensor code. it was cleared and when I checked it, only glow plug codes were present. any thoughts on where to start?

Might want to make sure the glow plug harness on the driver side is plugged in. Seeing that you have a code for every glow plug on that bank.

I will check that. the plugs could also just be bad, I don't know if they have been changed. I want to see about fixing the skip 1st though

Anybody have any other suggestions? I can't see the glow plugs being the issue being that's it been 80s- 90s here and it doesn't matter if its warmed up.

Welcome to the 6.0. it uses glow plugs... A lot! Fix the glow plug issue and i bet it gets better

Even when it's hot out? 90? It sat and ran for like 20 min the other day, and didn't really smooth out... That wouldn't seem like a glow plug issue like that would it?

Ok so I took it out the other nite and ran it down the road, soon as the turbo spools up at like 10-15 mph it takes off like a scared cat! Runs how a 6 liter should, doesn't miss a beat. Come back down to idle its back to running ruff and huffing. As for the glow plugs the harness was unplugged, no difference though

did a cylinder contribution test on it the other day at work, at an idle cylinder 6 is dead, rev it up the skip goes away and it picks up 6. I was told by guy that does a lot of 6.0 work its probably a burnt valve.

I had one that was missing the little tab on the rocker arm and it missed like hell idling but great up in the RPM's.

Check the pins in the connector on the injector to see if one is bent and not making good connection.

With that many miles, and the huffing sound I am going to say its a valve train issue. Mainly the lifters.

Usually they fall apart and take the rest of the engine with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeMW-gwe-o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeMW-gwe-o[/ame]

Are you aware the 6.0s are **** engines?

Last edited:
Back