6.0l Horrible Mileage

Bobus

Powerstroked
My dad and I recently acquired a pair of stock '06 F450 6.0ls auto 4x4's and they both are getting horrible Mileage, Around 12 tops but most of the time in the 9-10mpg range:bang What can be done about this? I understand a Programmer/Chip would be of help, but with my '06 F350 experience im afraid of it.. So we were thinking regearing them.. would this help regain lost mileage? If so who would I go to for gears? What axles are in the '06 F450 trucks thanks

I would make sure they are mechanically sound before spending the money on regearing.
IIRC they should be a Dana 80 rear and a dana 60 front?

Correcting
Uncommon
Mileage
Malaise
Is
Now
Simple

Catchy saying. Do you have one for dropped valves and 1000 for head work work needed to run a smarty at level 9( and a pressure box), without it crapping all over itself?
I was sold on cummins until we blew the motor twice,using run of the mill stakcs.

I'll stick with my $400 fix for 6.0Ls. Atleast I don't need to trailer it to events.

If the truck is stock, it should do better than that. 13-15 would be a minimum. Don't do gearing as stated above. You have another problem, which may be related to fuel or breathing. On the breathing side, check your EGR valves. They are notorious for getting sooted up and if they get stuck open, you'll be running a low-oxygen mix all of the time, not just low RPM where it is intended to operate. You can remove it and clean it, or if it is really bad, replace it. Check the air filters too. The stock unit is very good, which means that if it is subjected to low quality air, it could be clogged up. Clean or replace them. One last area to check are your air sensors. If they are not good, then your programming (stock) won't be efficiently sending fuel (air sensors are part of the equation). You'd have to get FMC to run some diagnostics; I would do this last if the other stuff does not help.

On the fuel side, it is a combination of the HPOP and the injectors. I agree with the above to check the fuel filter or replace it. The injectors should have been resolved by 06' but you never know. Get a bad spool valve or two and you could be weeping, and that would absolutely kill mileage. If the HPOP is not all it used to be (not so likely, but it could be a problem), you won't get the atomization needed for optimum burn. As with the sensors, do this last.

So, start with the EGR and the air filter and fuel filter. If none of that helps, have FMC check the injectors, air sensors and HPOP.

Keep us posted, Ralph

Ralph, mine from day one modded or not was 14.4 MPG. BTW, looking at your sig, you need more cars. LOL

I'm at an impasse. I want more cars, but 1st I need to convince the wife that building a standalone garage with 4 bays, 1 fitted with a lift, etc., makes sense. Riht now, the 3 cars are in the 3-car garage that came with the house, but when the truck comes back, the Jeep goes outside. So, housing 1st, then ... more cars!

Ralph

Back