6.4 single turbo swap

CJH8907

Looking for some help on doing a single turbo swap on my 6.4 powerstroke. Just trying to figure out how to do the turbo drain. It is a s400 base charger

Any input much appreciated

2012-11-19_21-14-09_494.jpg

This is what I have

I'd totally ditch the stock pedestal/mount plate and start new. It gives so much more flexibility.

On my buddies we started from scratch and machined an aluminum insert to match the stock drain and then threaded and tapped in for an an like similar to the one above. I don't have any pics of it though

By start from scratch I meant start with a completely new turbo mount bed plate. That cast piece with 2 drain holes sucks.

On the kit we built for mine, we machined a base plate and built a pedestal for the turbo on it. Then used a stock Cummins turbo drain tube to drain through a hole in the base plate.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

How many lbs of boost can you guys push with the single?
I noticed a few threads around the internet with putting singles on, but the results didn't seem better than factory?

I just assumed the coolness factor was driving the swap more than anything else...

How many lbs of boost can you guys push with the single?
I noticed a few threads around the internet with putting singles on, but the results didn't seem better than factory?

I just assumed the coolness factor was driving the swap more than anything else...

Boost is irrelevant. The air flow gain at a given pressure level is greatly increased with a single. As with any other motor, overcharging make them a lazy smoky pig on the street. For daily driving with stock injectors and stock high pressure pump I would go no larger than a 68mm comp wheel, some top notch motor and trans tuning will be required to make it run good.

If I could figure out how to embed a video I could show you boosted 0-100 and 60-100 on stock fuel with a S472

I haven't had it on long enough to get a good feel for the mileage, since I've been doing quite a bit of "testing". I do miss the quick spool up, but I'm just running the 300HD right now. I'll be getting a couple tunes from Eric or Matt in the near future that should help with the drivabilty.

I haven't had it on long enough to get a good feel for the mileage, since I've been doing quite a bit of "testing". I do miss the quick spool up, but I'm just running the 300HD right now. I'll be getting a couple tunes from Eric or Matt in the near future that should help with the drivabilty.

Will it still build boost at lower RPM say if you're cruising down the highway, TC locked, around 1300 RPM, or does it need higher RPM before it spools?
Just worrying it would only boost at like 1800 + RPM's.
I guess you could just keep it out of overdrive for towing though.
I think mileage would go up, hoping to verify !!! :thankyou2:

What tuner runs the tunes you speak of getting? I have spartan.

Last thing I need is another stupid project, but MAN that thing runs nice, I'm trying to find reasons to not want it !!!! LOL

Back