6.5 Chevy to 5.9 Cummins Dodge

RudolphD1

Have installed 5.9 in 92 Chevy 3500HD. I have newer NV4500 Chevy Transmission with 22 teeth. Was told I need to intall:

Engine adpator plate for Dodge Bell Housing
A Dodge Bellhousing
A Dodge Input Shaft
A Dodge HD Clutch kit
A Dodge Slave Cylinder

Any Suggestions please?
Will existing GM line from GM Master Cylinder fit Dodge Slave Cylinder?
Where can I find Dodge Bellhousing,Input Shaft,HD Clutch Kit OR longest lasting clutch kit, and Dodge Slave Cylinder and a Dodge Replacement Fork.

Thanks. RudolphD1

Go to the the diesel power magazine website they have an article there where they did a swap like this. Rich

Have installed 5.9 in 92 Chevy 3500HD. I have newer NV4500 Chevy Transmission with 22 teeth. Was told I need to intall:

A Dodge Bellhousing Scrap yard, here, E-bay
A Dodge Input Shaft Post here there prolly a few guys that upgraded to bigger billet pieces that use there old ones as paper weights
A Dodge HD Clutch kit Valiar, south bend, etc...
A Dodge Slave Cylinder I used an upgraded SBC piece, depending one what clutch you run you can get away with a stock dogde piece. Be aware you do need to add 1" to the throw rod to work in the GM app, or modify the peddle.

Any Suggestions please?
Where can I find Dodge Bellhousing,Input Shaft,HD Clutch Kit OR longest lasting clutch kit, and Dodge Slave Cylinder and a Dodge Replacement Fork.

Thanks. RudolphD1

Save yourself alot of headache buy a new clutch master and slave cylinder, it'll twist right into the firewall like the GM one.

My SBC clutch came with a new fork and throwout bearing, depending on where you order from and what you order your's will too. Go to a Dodge dealer and might as well replace the pivot ball in your bellhousing too as that seems to wear a little.

A Dodge Bellhousing
A Dodge Input Shaft
A Dodge HD Clutch kit
A Dodge Slave Cylinder

Any Suggestions please?

Thanks. RudolphD1

the gm master cylinder does not flow enough volume to operate the dodge slave cylinder. you will have to get a dodge set up. the lines are the same but i tried that and i could not get the gm master to operate the dodge slave.

the rest of the stuff look around on here and there is some web sites to look at too.

i got my trans stuff from Ryan at fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits but there is a few places to get them

A Dodge Bellhousing
A Dodge Input Shaft
A Dodge HD Clutch kit
A Dodge Slave Cylinder

Any Suggestions please?

Thanks. RudolphD1

I have GM conversion packages , look in the Vendors section TN Diesel Conversions - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Scott

Nick,

I looked at pics of your truck conversion job. Looks nice. I have a long way to go. Need to get transmission fixed first. I have a Dodge HD Bellhousing on the way. Questions: Is it necessary to change the frount input bearing retainer when swapping out input shaft with stock 1-1/8 shaft? Your article does not mention any probs but I was told I needed to have my new GM NV4500 machined to accept throw-out bearing cone. (Just checking) Also, your pics show a 1-3/8" input shaft setting beside the stock 1-1/8. Would using the larger 1-3/8 require changes to input bearing retainer or anything else? I will also need an adaptor plate from Dodge Bellhousing to Cummins, correct?
You mentioned I will need to add 1" to the throw rod to work in the GM app, or modify the peddle. Please expound on this? I was planning on using a Dodge Master and Slave vice GM. I'm told they will fit and line/fittings are same. Any recommendations for best type of pilot bearings and removal of same. Any/all advice is much appreciated. Thanks. Joe (AKA RudolphD1)

My 1 3/8 input came with a retainer. You will need a retainer off a dodge as well with the 1 1/4" input. The 96+ GM NV4500, will not need any modifications to it at all. Just the input shaft and retainer, wouldnt hurt to put a new bearing in there either though. If your using an older version, if it was me I would sell it and look for a newer one. The older ones will have issues and require modification. And the early ones with the 6.31 or whatever first gear wont work at all.

If you got the 5.9 from a 94+ newer Dodge, you wont need to source a engine adapater plate unless yours has been removed. I cant say for certain whether the pre 94 Dodge Cummins adapter plates will work, I thought I read they wont work. Maybe someone else here can chime in.

As far as your clutch system I cant tell you whether or not your plan to run a GM master and Dodge slave will work. I upgraded my hydraulics to SBC Dodge one because i've got a #3850 plate load clutch. If your system works no modification to the linkage will be nessacary. If you run a dodge master cylinder in your truck which will install into the firewall exactly the same as the GM one your will run into the same problem as I had. The throw rod that connects the master cylinder to the clutch peddle is 1" shorter on the Dodge piece. It wont allow you to engage the clutch all the way. So we removed the throw rod from the master cylinder cut it in half by the eyelet that goes on the clutch peddle and brazed in a 1" long piece of bolt, so we could fully engage the clutch. I'll snap some pics but it'll be a weekend or 2 before I get back to my truck if you like.

you will have to either get upgraded hydraulics or get a dodge set up the gm off my 94 didnt have near enough pressure to operate a slightly over stock clutch. if you look at the gm set up compared to the dodge set up the master cylinder bore size compared to the gm there is a difference. as far as the lines yes they are the same i used the ones off my chevy when i did mine.

the transmission breaks are 95 and up are the ones that will work with the dodge bell housing and input shafts i got mine from a place in TX and they built it for me with the dodge input and gm 4x4 output shaft. if you have the 94 and under it has the smaller input shaft and the case bolt pattern is a little off.

the clutch linkage situation i just used the rod from the gm master cylinder with the dodge master cylinder and that solved the length issue that you have with using the dodge one.

the clutch linkage situation i just used the rod from the gm master cylinder with the dodge master cylinder and that solved the length issue that you have with using the dodge one.

:bang:bang:bang never occured to me to look into that. Lol oh well live and learn.

it didnt occur to me either my dad was out there and pointed it out lol

yeah its amazing the ideas they come up with these days to fix things or make them work.

Nick,

The Dodge Master Cylinder I purchased for this 92 Chevy HD 3500 has what appears to be threads that screw into the firewall. Whereas the original Chevy Master had a backing plate and two screws to hold it on the firewall. Was this the case with yours. Joe

Mines a slight rectangle shape and just put it in and turn 90* and its locked in. It sandwhiches the firewall.

Mines a slight rectangle shape and just put it in and turn 90* and its locked in. It sandwhiches the firewall.

Outlaw,
I finally got all my parts and pulled the transmission out of my 92 Chevy 3500 with Cummins and NV4500. I never put the Cummins in, but pulling it was a challenge. There is very little (zero) room. Even with an adjustable transmission jack and three people it was a bear.
-Any tricks to speeding up the process?
-Also, the adaptor plate has a plug and and metal plate that covers a hole? What are these for?
-On the Clutch Master cylinder, I am replacing it with a Dodge Master Cylinder. Did you grind off the bolts that GM uses for their Master Cylinders?
- What is best pilot bearing to use? One that will last.

Thanks.
Rudolph

Can you post some pictures please? I have a '93 3500HD and would like to do a Cummins swap in it eventually. Didn't know how difficult it would be compared to a regular 3500 since the frames are completely different.

Back