6.5 wont stay running.

parttimepuller

Starts fine and drives fine but out of nowhere it just dies. Shuts down in the middle of the road. Fires right back up though every time. Is there a module or sensor possibly going out??? Havnt checked anything out yet... Think it might be lift pump and starving for fuel????:bang

Has the PMD been relocated ? Does it get to operating temp before it dies? Whens the last fuel filter it had changed?

Has the PMD been relocated ? Does it get to operating temp before it dies? Whens the last fuel filter it had changed?

Best of my knowledge nothing has ever been done except for maintence. Whats PMD?

Not sure on the temp.. Going to change the filter tomorrow. Hadnt had time...

Pump mounted driver on the injection pump I believe. I'm not too keen on these but the PMD is a known cause of the problem I believe.

Had the same problem with mine get about 70ft down the road and she'd die out but restart. I ended up adding a lift pump on the frame rail and it actually improved everything about the truck. Give that a shot if you have changed your fuel filter out and checked to make sure the 12v power source on the pump is good. Pump was like 60 or so bucks from napa it was nothing special.

The PMD is the little black box on the drivers side of the injection pump. There are a few good companies that make relocation kits to move the PMD to a better place so it stays cooler. As for the lift pump good idea and yes check the connector for the lift pump, make sure you have power on both sides of the connector as they like to corrode.

Also 94-95 6.5's use the oil pressure switch to power the lift pump while the engine is running. They fail often and will shut the lift pump off when they fail and can cause stalling.

Back