6.6 swap for a 7.8

zfstone

zfstone
To any one who has any knowledge on the subject. I have two ford tractors with 6.6 diesels in them I want to swap in a 7.8 and want to know if it will work
Thank You

I am told that the 7.8 truck engine as well as the 6.6 truck version will work but I have not been able to figure out hat all is involved.
If you know anything let me in on it.
Thanks
Zac

a 7.8 engine will bolt right in, although you will have to use a 'tw' oil pan to get the mounting correctly, there are many different configurations in a 7.8 getting the right manifolds, could be tricky, as the heads are different.

What I would like to know for sure is are the cranks the same will the tractor flywheel mount to the truck crank. Motor mounts I take it are the same. Will the injector pumps and such interchange. One of the tractors is a tw 35 4x4 The other is a 8000 I have both tractors complete the tw 35 spun a main and the 8000 the block has rotted and has been sleeved twice and will not hold another one. so I have basically two complete tractors minus working engines. I would like to know what your experience is with these engines. I would just like to hash this all out so I know what I am doing before I wrap up alot of money into something that will not work. I would just put in another 6.6 but they are hard to find, and Not cheap when you do find them. 7.8s are easier to find and less expensive also.
Please let me know what you have to offer any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Zac

I see your in PA, have you called Forresters farm equipment, cory or curt could help you, they are located in Chambersburg. I dont have there Phone#. I know they could help you out.

i know forresters farm equipment well, my grandfather pulled with them for many years, he pulled the blue mule along with a couple of other tractors. he name was chester snyder. i talked to him and he said that at one time they had a farm tractor that they had a 7.8 engine in that came from sunbury. the tractor was a 9600 and he said that it was a great tractor.

I know forresters,well who they are, I have spoken with curt and corey and a couple of others done there. They don't really want to give me any info they said bring it down and they will take care of it basically. We are dairy farmers and we can do it ourselves just need to know what works with what. Like I said we are dairy farmers and every dollar counts, if you get what I'm saying.
Thank You
Zac

i come from a farm myself, i know what you are saying, i am away at college here in lima, oh. i thought seriously about trying to make something like this work when i am done, here i have limited resources though. there is a possibility of getting my grandfather's pulling tractor back out, he still has one left that he pulled with a couple years ago exibition.

i am from tamaqua pa originally, but will be out here at school until 2010. so the pulling will have to wait. am going to take a crack at it with my truck most likely next year, i got the itch soooo baaddd!

ya my buddy has a cabin up there in bradford county. will be heading up there when i am home to do some flintlock hunting possibly, maybe i could look ya up.

Back