6.7 conversion questions

seeker1056

gear head
Anyone runnin a 6.7 shortblock or complete p-pump converted 6.7 in a puller?

So what is required to p-pump one of these other than the usual cover and gear swap,

Will the current 24v parts like injector lines, tubes, injectors, etc work in/on the 6.7 head?

Will a 12v head on a 6.7 work ie bowl/injector issues if any? I know you have to drill steam holes etc in the head to mate with the block, but what else?

My preference would be to bolt on a much ported 12v head so I can use my large injector lines, 5x18s, and worked p-pump

Thoughts and or suggestion please

Anyone runnin a 6.7 shortblock or complete p-pump converted 6.7 in a puller?

So what is required to p-pump one of these other than the usual cover and gear swap,

Will the current 24v parts like injector lines, tubes, injectors, etc work in/on the 6.7 head?

Will a 12v head on a 6.7 work ie bowl/injector issues if any? I know you have to drill steam holes etc in the head to mate with the block, but what else?

My preference would be to bolt on a much ported 12v head so I can use my large injector lines, 5x18s, and worked p-pump

Thoughts and or suggestion please

There is no "usual" cover and gear swap in this instance. The geartrain on the front of the 5.9 or 6.7 CR is totally different than the 6BT or ISB. The 12v p-pump cover will not bolt up nor will the oil pan. A custom cover will be required as well as the necessary gear changes to use the helical gear for the p-pump.

Do a search on the injector issue. There are a few different schools of thought on that topic.

Pistons should be changed if using an offset injector like with the 12v as opposed to the central injection on a 6.7.

Ok - thanx
However there are more than a few 6.7 motors out there in the puller world

My question is - how and what did they do or are they all runnin commonrail still, just with a cam and injectors and bigger turbo, twin cp3 etc

Yes I know about the injector "issues" and various skools of thought - thats why I asked what people are doing, cuz I am doubtful there are many custom piston deals been built

I also read that the helical gears are a straight swap out for the 6.7 pieces

But anyway - anyone out there with a 6.7 puller they wish to part with the details

Thanx

Ok - thanx
However there are more than a few 6.7 motors out there in the puller world

My question is - how and what did they do or are they all runnin commonrail still, just with a cam and injectors and bigger turbo, twin cp3 etc

Yes I know about the injector "issues" and various skools of thought - thats why I asked what people are doing, cuz I am doubtful there are many custom piston deals been built

I also read that the helical gears are a straight swap out for the 6.7 pieces

But anyway - anyone out there with a 6.7 puller they wish to part with the details

Thanx

P-pumped 6.7s do exist and are probably more abundant since the unlocked ECMs are relatively new for the CR. Here is a link to Woodruff's front housing for CR's:
Front Cover and Housing

There are more custom pistons out there than one would think. Let's face it...seeing what things would cost for the swap, custom pistons would be a drop in the bucket. Chances are good the engine would be better suited with steel or forged aluminum pistons than the stock or aftermarket cast pistons anyhow.

i thought i read somewhere that you could just redrill a dowel hole or something in the block to make a standard 12 valve gear housing work on the common rail engines?

i thought i read somewhere that you could just redrill a dowel hole or something in the block to make a standard 12 valve gear housing work on the common rail engines?

There is quite a bit more involved - maybe two holes line up...maybe.

My brothers truck is a 6.7 block with machined 6.7 pistons and a machined 5.9 head and it works great. 711hp at the wheels in salt lake with single Cp3 and single charger. I can tell some more or show some pics if you guys would like

If you really want to talk to someone that knows what to do and what works call Brad Ingram at Schied Diesel in effingham il. He can get you what you need and tell you what works and what dosnt. I pull against a lot of p=pumped 6.7's.

If you really want to talk to someone that knows what to do and what works call Brad Ingram at Schied Diesel in effingham il. He can get you what you need and tell you what works and what dosnt. I pull against a lot of p=pumped 6.7's.

Are any of those guys on the forum? How do those 6.7's do?

email recieved. Do you know why he went with a 5.9 head? Just so he could use 5.9 injectors?

A p-pumped 6.7 wont live unless its sleeved back to a 5.9. Spoke alot to Brad at Indy about this and he said that a standard 6.7 wouldnt last 1 pass on the dyno

So the pullers out there with p-pumped 6.7 are running basically 5.9 bore size pistons with the 6.7 stroke?

Yep. Thats what he said. They would explode mid pass on the dyno

RonA, did you know anything about this? Something your gonna have to do?

Yes, we heard the 6.7 motors are too high strung for a p-pump. We are going to mount speakers under the hood and play Karen Carpenters Greatest hits on the stereo.

email recieved. Do you know why he went with a 5.9 head? Just so he could use 5.9 injectors?

Well that and also because it was cheaper to get a 6.7 long block then to buy the whole engine. This all started when he melted down his stock engine and he found the 6.7 long block on ebay for $2,500, and now he has $20,000 put into this truck

Back