6.7 into an 06 megacab

rayvin433

Long time lurker on Comp D. Active member on another Cummins forum but they are not the go to with engine builds.
I have recently purchased a donor 6.7 motor to replace the 5.9 in an ‘06 megacab. It was complete 140k mile engine pulled from a totalled truck. I have tore it down for a visual inspection with everything in very good condition. Standard bore pistons were in good shape & cylinder bores are perfect.
I was originally going to just hone, install all new rings/bearings/seals then use MY03-04.5 injectors.
I located a local machine shop within 1hr of me that specializes in Cummins. The builder suggested a different route to take. Bore the 6.7 0.020” over, install QSB wide bowl pistons on 12v forged rods then final torque plate hone for PTW clearance. I would then be able to use my existing MY04.5 BBI Stage 1 injectors.
After comparing both scenarios, it will be 30% more cost effective with a stronger short block going with option 2. The savings would almost cover the additional machining costs needed for this build.
His prices for machining were reasonable but I can get the same parts online for considerably cheaper. I am located in southern Alberta about 2hrs from the boarder. I have in the past ordered from US online companies & had them free ship to sweetgrass Montana. Quick round trip across the boarder, pick up the parts & pay my 5% duty coming home. I have had bad experiences with customs in the past & shipping costs are outrageous when it hits Canada.
I found an online parts supplier out of Texas that I would shave off another 30% including a $1.32 exchange rate.
Has anyone any experience with M&D Distributers out of Texas?

Back