6.7 PS pump on 5.9... anyone ? also ? about crankshaft sensor....

triton

Scarlet Fever
well, I finally got to turn the truck over for the first time today. Unfortunately, it's not starting.

The question I have is..... I installed a 08.5 PS pump on the truck. Same mounting location. Nothing seems different about it's installation than the 5.9 pump. Following the rotation of the drive belt, the PS pulley is the aligning pulley for the crank pulley. I'll get back to this.....

The only problem I've encounter and possibly why the truck won't start is I'm getting a crankshaft sensor performance code. I know for a fact the sensor is working and the correct plug from the harness is on it.

I believe the PS pulley is off just enough that it's causing the drive belt to try and ride up onto the tone ring. Has anyone else installed one ?

Is it possible that because the belt is pushing on the ring or the fact it's butt up against it enough to throw a code ? It's a metal ring so I can't imagine the belt is moving it.

I've replaced sensors where the tone ring eats the sensor. It's not out of the realm of possibility to have one fail like that.

in case someone else comes looking for this.....

I installed a 08.5+ PS pump on my 5.9. It's a upgraded pump from the older style and handles psi better. It mounts to the same location in the same way but.... the tank is different. I haven't used it yet but, reports are it's a nice difference from the older pump. My old pump would almost blow it's lid it always had so much psi on it and always leaked. It's a vented cap with I tried changing with no luck. So, for those and maybe not all that have dual fuel pumps, beware if you do this upgrade as the drive belt hits the PS tank.

Since it was his kit, Shane @ MS diesel helped to make it work. He basically extended the tank off the pump with some spacers. I'm sure it won't be long someone will make a kit for this.

PStank_zpseffba442.jpg
PStank2_zps78d02cbf.jpg

Back