6.7 swap in a 2006 dodge 3500

whittmotorsport

First of all I want to say thanks in advance for any info/advice from you all. A little background of myself. I have been working on hot rods and efi turbo swaps in gasoline vehicles for a few years. I am new to diesel conversion and have been reading and trying to take in all the info I can on my situation. I recently purchased a 2006 Dodge 2wd 6 speed dually that was a theft recovery. The 5.9 was stolen and the guy I bought it from put a 6.7 with all the engine harness and ECM in it. He never could figure it out so he sold it. It has a CM2100 ECM so I'm assuming it's a 07.5-09.5 model year engine. It's all complete with everything the 6.7 had factory. The TIPM module is all Intact with the swap harness. He never could get it to crank off of the key which I'm assuming the ECM is locked or maybe it's a neutral safety issue. I haven't got to check the trans harness out yet but there looks to be many more connectors than is used on a 6 speed. So I'm assuming it a auto trans harness. I just need guided in the right direction. Seems everything I have read most people are using the 5.9 harness and ECM and doing away with all the emissions. I want to use what I have [6.7 ECM and harness] if it's all possible.

Is the harness compatible with the truck?
Will I need to get a dealer to unlock the ECM if that's the case or can I use efi live?
Just trying to get headed in the right direction and if there is a common swap with info I need I'm sorry for beating on a dead horse.

Does it have the 6.7 TIPM?

Are you using the 6.7 key?

Tobin

To the best of my knowledge it does have the 6.7 TIPM in it. I will research the part number and make sure tomorrow. The key is a 5.9 key and the factory skim module. The kicker is that where it's a theft recovery the key has not been programmed to the truck. From what I have read I can disable the skim when I flash the ECM, correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't purchased efi live yet. I'm just trying to make sure I can use the 6.7 harness and ECM in it before I spend a lot of money on it. I'm assuming if I had the 6.7 key and skim matching the ECM from the questions you ask then it would all work together? I appreciate all the help

Last edited:
EFI Live will disable the SKIM for the 6.7 ECM. (at least the older version will, I believe it still does).

I think you have a couple options. Since you have a manual transmission, it might be easier.

First option, get all 5.9 wiring harness and ECM, TIPM, etc. I think that would be the easiest.

Second option, get all 6.7 wiring harness, etc and put in the truck.

Third option, 6.7 ECM with SKIM disabled. I think the 6.7 TIPM will talk to it, BUT here is the unkown for me, will it talk to the rest of the truck (gauges, cruise control, etc?) That is where I think you are going to run into trouble. I am not sure 100% on how the rest of the truck would work with the different ECM and TIPM in there. I would think at a minimum the VIN numbers need to match for them not to freak out.

That is my thoughts, someone smarter might chime in and have a better idea on it.

Personally I would try and convert it all to the 2006 electronics.

Tobin

Thanks for the input. That was where I was lost at since most people doing a swap run the 5.9 harness that the truck came with. I would like to have the gauges and everything in the truck operate like they should. Since I already have a 6.7 ECM and harness it would save me a lot of money to use what I have. But worst case I can swap in a 5.9 harness and ECM and sell all the 6.7 ECM and harness.

I haven't had time to fool with it much but the wipers and signals and overhead display all seem to be working with the TIPM that's in it. The part number is P04962 115AI and I haven't been able to find info if that's the factory 5.9 one or the 2007 6.7 one. I haven't had much time to fool with it but next is to try to get it to crank off the key. Still needing info if the 07 engine harness and ECM is compatible workin in this truck if anybody has any knowledge on it. Thanks

Back