6.7 turbo limits

cumminspwr11

i have a buddy who has a spare turbo off his 6.7 that he said he would give me to run on my 12v and im wondering how much power these turbos are able to handle? i know there are tons of threads on here about this swap but i havent been able to find any solid hp #s, can anyone help me out here or point me to the right thread please?

in a 6.7 with the factory computer controlling it they're only good for about 450rwhp at 35-40psi and at that the EGT and drive pressure's are insane.

I know fleece makes a standalone controller for these but I dont think they're 12v compatible... needs to be at least a VP truck due to some of the electronic input required to make the controller work. Other than that I've seen some guys controlling these things with a wastegate type diaphram.... no idea how it works though.

iirc the inducer trim on these is 60mm...

They have the same compressor wheel as the older He351cw found on 04.5-07' trucks. A few years ago I installed an He351cw on my 99' 2500 5 speed and rolled 499 HP to the rear wheels.

I've seen 04.5-07' trucks put down anywhere from 450 to 575 HP with their He351cw turbo.

The He351ve, from the 07.5' and newer 6.7's has a larger exhaust turbine wheel, so I'd imagine it could produce a little more horsepower 10-20HP than the He351cw.

However, I ran an He351ve on my 95' Junker drag truck for about a week and destroyed it. It spooled really, really, fast when I got the variable housing tuned just right and all of my exhaust leaks fixed. The problem with super quick spool is it wears out the bearings really fast and tends to bark a lot.

The He351cw worked great for a couple of years on my 99' and as far as I know, the current owner is still running it.

I'm currently running an He351cw on my 95' Junker Drag truck as the top turbo in a twins setup. So far, it's holding up great and making plenty of power.

If I were to throw a number out there, 500HP at the wheels is possible with a He351ve or cw on a 12 valve. Reliability is questionable when you push them that hard (45 to 55psi boost).

hum so it wouldnt be much better than my super 40 with the 60mm turbine? i want to run some 5x14s in there and still be able to tow 15 to 20k

i take it you have to get a new compressor housing to run a 62 or 64 compressor wheel in that turbo or were you talking about a different turbo altogether?-dangerous06

The only thing the VGT is good for is a boat anchor. I have a pile of them here off of 6.7trucks. Just pulled one off of a deleted truck since new, it had 40k on it when it failed.

Yeah just get the one you need! if you want to tow get a silver bullet 62. i run a 64 and it smokes a little towing heavy. need to keep it above 2k!

the reason i wanted to mess with the vgt turbo is because i can get it for free and i dont have the extra coin to drop on a pricey turbo, could you get a bigger compressor wheel for the He351cw? or is the shaft going to be too weak for a bigger wheel?

Like black siad they are great boat anchors that's why it's free! If people could mod them they would! Sorry but the answer is no. That 40 you have is super laggy i know why you want to try something else! just start saving or sell something. Maybe find a used 62 for a grand do some hunting online!

the reason i wanted to mess with the vgt turbo is because i can get it for free and i dont have the extra coin to drop on a pricey turbo, could you get a bigger compressor wheel for the He351cw? or is the shaft going to be too weak for a bigger wheel?

A wise man once said; You can have it cheap, you can have it fast, or you can have it last a long time... but you only get two of those at a time.

We are going to try throwing an S480 under one on a 2010. Just cause we have an S480, a 2010, and cold beer in the shop. :charger:

why not drop $100-200 on a duramax charger...least those will do 500hp. the controller you need makes it all a was price wise anyway

hum so it wouldnt be much better than my super 40 with the 60mm turbine? i want to run some 5x14s in there and still be able to tow 15 to 20k

i take it you have to get a new compressor housing to run a 62 or 64 compressor wheel in that turbo or were you talking about a different turbo altogether?-dangerous06

The He351 uses the 7 blade super 40 compressor wheel.

So the only advantage to swapping would be faster spool up. The shaft size is the same. The VGT function is less reliable than non VGT turbos.

I think the VG will make for a nice small turbo with a S475. for a nice set of towing twins $.02

Back