6.7 turbo

Bad_Red_Sheep

I am new to the forum and I have a quick question: I have come across a used 6.7 turbo that I can get on the CHEAP....I am wondering #1 how would I control this since it is VGT....#2 what are the benefits (spool up/boost/etc...) and has anyone done this?

I have a 6.7 with fleece controller on an 05 5.9 at the car lot. Not much different than stock. Just have an exhaust brake.

You can spend your money in better places.

Well when I say cheap I mean cheap....all I am basically gonna be out is my time in changin the maifold and turbo....what I am wondering is how will I control the turbo? I cant find a fleece controller for anything newer than 05 and I have an 07....

I have a wastegate actuator on mine. With buying the piping and all the other crap to make it work I got more money in it than me just buying a box charger. It runs boost all the time so my fuel milege dropped quite a bit. The only way to go is a fleece controller. You have the same exact turbo hanging on your truck now so all your gaining is the exhaust brake.

well that's really all I am lookin for is the brake....I have seen different controllers around and some that I have seen you can actually use the VGT to dial in what boost you wanna run....like cruisin on the interstate you can dial it waaay down to gain MPG and pullin a hill you can crank it back up....I realized when I started this that it was the same snail, but with everything that I put into this swap I will still be WAY cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust brake...just lookin for help on the controller really

You can make your own. Not hard. There's a write up on here actually from our member in Mexico that did it on a yellow 24v with a generic stepper motor, and a ford window switch. I'll see if I can find the video and write up for you.

Edit: here they are
HE351VE on a VP44 truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHGbN67PIM"]HE351Ve VGT on 98 Cummins / EBrake - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I got a cummins/Jacobs exhaust brake on my 2007. Bought it from Snedge on here. Brand new shipped to my door was $902. That was back in 2009 so I'm sure they're more now. IMO, I'd rather buy this and bolt it on then to have to rig and fab up that.

Well my truck is a DD and I am not really lookin for it to be a sled puller...I know guys who are pushin 40psi on a stock he351...i figure to go any higher than that safely and reliably I am gonna need head studs and alot more fuel that what I ever plan on pushin so HP is not a big deal....I mean maybe one day after I win the lottery I can think about BIG HP....but even so is the VGT not a good topper for a twin set up?

No. The 6.7 turbo is not good for a twin set up. Worse than the 351.

I had a stock turbo made 45 psi all day long for 200,000 km never had an issue also got a Jacobs brake new off e bay for 500.00 to my door

I also have the factory Jacobs exhaust brake on my 07. I love it. Great little addition and works well.

Back