6 bad injectors: What should I do?

tcalvin

I had Hamilton diesel install a cam, valve springs and pushrods around 2 months ago. While they had the truck, I gave them the go ahead to o-ring the head and install a 12v gasket. Well, I blew the gasket some time after I got the truck back and brought it back to the to have it replaced. Well, I get the call today saying the truck is ready, but number 4 injector isn't working right. White smoke and rough idle. Strange but I had a spare injector so I agreed to bring it if they would swap my nozzle. The truck was running perfectly fine. No missing, no white smoke. Just a leaking head gasket. Well, I just got off the phone with Alex, and he's saying all six injectors are bad. Sounds quite strange to me and frankly I'm a little pissed off. The truck was running fine before they worked on it and now I'm supposed to replace all the injectors, because "It may of had bad fuel or water in the fuel" If that were the case then why the hell was it running fine before I brought it to them?!?! I'm at a loss. I've got half a mind to call and tell them that there's no way in hell I'm paying for 6 injectors. They are the only ones who've touched it and it was running fine before. Anyway, just wanted to hear some opinions as to where I should go from here.

Be careful for sure not the first time that ive seen or heard of poor wrenching coming out of that shop.

I will have a set of 6 injectors for sale around january for 1500 bucks they are reman's but basically brand new they are from a cummins facility.

Be careful for sure not the first time that ive seen or heard of poor wrenching coming out of that shop.

I hope this isn't the case but all 6 injectors don't just go bad all of the sudden unless some trash was introduced somewhere in the system and they are the ones who had it apart. It's also strange to me because I get a call saying number 4 is hung open. I thought hmm; well maybe something got in it and I didn't think much of it since I had a spare injector in my tool box, but then I get a call a couple hours later where I'm informed that it's running like sh`t and white smoking because all the injectors need to be replaced. If they are in fact all bad, I don't feel like this is something that should be on me.

seems awfully strange that all six wicks would be bad? Hmmm depending on your know how and your immidiate use of the truck I would pull em and have them checked by Don. May also check to see if you have any codes, prior to tearing things apart.
Rob

seems awfully strange that all six wicks would be bad? Hmmm depending on your know how and your immidiate use of the truck I would pull em and have them checked by Don. May also check to see if you have any codes, prior to tearing things apart.
Rob

I can pull them if it comes to that. I'll know more tomorrow when I get there. I know for a fact that it white smokes for a little while when it's cold cranked since I don't have a grid heater and they are 120's. I just wonder if the thicker gasket they installed this time has something to do with what's going on.

I just trashed all 6 of mine but that was due to water damage I believe the truck ran fine then I put 5 gallons of off road in it made it like 2 mile sthen the truck acted like it was on 5 cylinders... it sucks im on my third set, have a fass 150 with filters and still cant win...

Well, I got a call from someone up there and was givin a much better explanation. All 6 aren't bad, all that's happening is that they aren't equal. Apparently number 4 is done, but I'll be over there tomorrow with this newer injector to swap in. Then I'll be able to send them off to have them all checked and whichever ones aren't right- I'll replace.

Bad sticks

I had Hamilton diesel install a cam, valve springs and pushrods around 2 months ago. While they had the truck, I gave them the go ahead to o-ring the head and install a 12v gasket. Well, I blew the gasket some time after I got the truck back and brought it back to the to have it replaced. Well, I get the call today saying the truck is ready, but number 4 injector isn't working right. White smoke and rough idle. Strange but I had a spare injector so I agreed to bring it if they would swap my nozzle. The truck was running perfectly fine. No missing, no white smoke. Just a leaking head gasket. Well, I just got off the phone with Alex, and he's saying all six injectors are bad. Sounds quite strange to me and frankly I'm a little pissed off. The truck was running fine before they worked on it and now I'm supposed to replace all the injectors, because "It may of had bad fuel or water in the fuel" If that were the case then why the hell was it running fine before I brought it to them?!?! I'm at a loss. I've got half a mind to call and tell them that there's no way in hell I'm paying for 6 injectors. They are the only ones who've touched it and it was running fine before. Anyway, just wanted to hear some opinions as to where I should go from here.

See your PM.

I will have a set of 6 injectors for sale around january for 1500 bucks they are reman's but basically brand new they are from a cummins facility.

That's a better deal than I could get anywhere else that I know of. I'll just have to see whats up. Thanks for the heads up though. Consider me first in line when you get ready to sell em unless I get something else figured out before then.

Well, Zach is a standup guy and he was able to explain everything to me and really just let me know that all they want to do is make things right. Had a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when I first heard that all of my injectors were bad, but in all actuality I can have them checked. The only issue is that they aren't balanced meaning that some aren't flowing the same rate as others.

Good to see a company keeping up a very reputable name. I am good friends with tcalvin and was disturbed with the original findings, but with further communication with Hamilton Diesel it proved that things came out very well. I have spoke with tcalvin since getting the truck back from HD and there is an issue with an unequal injector flow, but that will be addressed personally. Never have had the opportunity to meet Zach in person, but from what I can gather from others experiences, Zach is a stand-up guy and is willing to provide a great product, smooth process and get the job DONE.

Bye the way I am not affiliated with Hamilton diesel anymore, my brother runs it but I had to check into the findings on the 6 bad sticks. The main issue is Alex is slammed and didn't take time to fully explain the entire situation to the customer, and for that I apologize.

Zach

Bye the way I am not affiliated with Hamilton diesel anymore, my brother runs it but I had to check into the findings on the 6 bad sticks. The main issue is Alex is slammed and didn't take time to fully explain the entire situation to the customer, and for that I apologize.

Zach

Being really busy is quite understandable. I'm just glad you took the time to explain it to me, even if you aren't affiliated with that business anymore. I'm sure Alex meant well, I was just a little upset. I'll be back by there Tuesday to get some more squeeze on this gasket.

I have been waiting on this to happen at my shop. With all the injector failures lately, I say a prayer every time I put a truck back together. In my personal truck, I replaced the first set at 1100 miles and the second set at 1500 miles. All from water damage. Just replaced a set in my other truck with 79k on it.

Just stay on top of changing fuel filters. Raycore now has a 5 micron with aquablock that fits in the factory location but we try to push people into installing another filter(2-3 micron) also. i have gotten 120,000 out of the set on my CR without an issue, knock on wood.

I had to eat 4 sets, 2cp3's and a couple p-pumps, last year before i got rid of the shop. The manufacturer, who I don't use any more said all of the failures were my problem due to poor fuel. Of course the customers weren't going to pay for it and the manufacturer wouldn't pay for it. I ate almost 14k in a matter of 3 months. Selling CR parts can be stressful when people are running off-road fuel from dirty tanks in your area. Injection parts in general with the tight tolerances they come with today combined with low sulphur fuel make for a lot of headaches. 2-3 micron filtering along with getting fuel from a reliable source is VERY important these days.

Zach

Back