60'...its a b***h

K.Frog

sexually attracted 2 fire
Any ideas. or tricks of the trade to get the 60' times down? for a 2004 dodge QCLB 4WD 48re. Previous times are high 1.9's and my personal best (3rd pass ever) yielded best ET's but worst 60' w/ a time of 2.035. Now, I easily have mid-low 11's according to my trap speed. Launching @ 20psi and still slipped all 4 to and a scosh past the 100' mark.(had melted rubber in the FRONT fender well) Ideas? I cant afford a locker, but am looking for one. Tires were @ 40psi (a/t's). They were 285/70R17's.

I'm just really curious to see what people think will work, I have some Ideas of my own, but am new to competitive Diesel Drag racing.

Thank You.

Ya your truck is a 11 sec no problem,In redding didnt look like it was coming out the hole that hard at all, but it started marching half track.I would try a different converter a little tighter then what you have might make a difference. Also try lanching it at higher boost tell she comes out harder

ok, I was thinking about trying a high boost on launch. My converter is an 85% stall, and its gonna have to do until fun ds allow for a different one. What converter would you recommend drake?

Just build boost until you cant hold it anymore and then let her eat

Air the tires down more. I run 30 in the back and 35 in the front. Overall it sounds like your tires suck. I run the stock tires on my Dmax and cut 1.7's. You might try clamping your springs if you dont have traction bars. It helps a little to stop axle wrap. If your spinning to 100' launching harder wont help. A lower boost launch will most likely result in better 60' times.

Air the tires down more. I run 30 in the back and 35 in the front. Overall it sounds like your tires suck. I run the stock tires on my Dmax and cut 1.7's. You might try clamping your springs if you dont have traction bars. It helps a little to stop axle wrap. If your spinning to 100' launching harder wont help. A lower boost launch will most likely result in better 60' times.

x2 drop 5psi in the frone asn 10 in the rear.

launching harder will net more wheel spin and a slower 60'

I got new tires some 33" terra grapplers as apposed to my borrowed cooper at fronts and worn out bfg at's in the rear

with your tires... make certain not to under/over air them. Too much and it pushed the centers out and too little it will pull the centers in and run on the outsides....(depending on rim width) But if your spinning that bad, id say theres no hope. Get some better hooking tires. I tried to run on 285/75/16s once. It was scary. thing didnt just spin, it was completely sideways in 4x4.
If you plan on running that fast, you should consider a set of hard hooking road tires like Toyo Proxes S/Ts. Those 33 terras may be ok though..
Get against the converter until you cant push the brake pedal any harder. More boost the better..LOL. Hope you have shafts...

Just build boost until you cant hold it anymore and then let her eat

Now, I easily have mid-low 11's according to my trap speed. Launching @ 20psi and still slipped all 4 to and a scosh past the 100' mark.(had melted rubber in the FRONT fender well) Ideas? I cant afford a locker, but am looking for one. Tires were @ 40psi (a/t's). .

Id actually go the opposite and dont build so much boost, Try launching at 10 or 15 PSI, my buddy was having the same problem is was launching at 25PSI dropped to 15PSI gained .2 in the 1/4 and droped his 60ft .1 sec, also lower your PSI to 30 front and rear

Seen several folks talk of building 5-10lbs of boost when staging, and time the foot to floor to have the boost climbing when they launch. Also have to second what others have said, if you are spinning that bad back the boost off some and launch a little easier.

Also try lanching it at higher boost tell she comes out harder

WRONG!!!!

Launch at a lower boost!!

People think they need masive boost to get a good launch and actually the opposite is true!! You need to find the sweet spot in your setup right before you get on top of the chargers and that will be the best place to launch!! That may be 8-10 psi or so in some cases. It takes LOTS of practice!!

The problem is, most people approach practicing drag racing like they do golf:bang The weekend golfer goes to the range and pound hundreds of drives yet might hit only one or two wedges. Then he goes out on the course and wonders why he can't score!!:bang

The same applies to drag racing. The launch and 60' is EVERYTHING!! People should spend most of their time at Test & Tunes working on their launch, 60' and reaction times as opposed to hammering down the track!!:poke:

Last edited:
If you're spinning that much, focus on traction not the converter.

Very air pressure in the tires. As one mentioned this is a little tricky. If you have a secluded stretch of fresh asphalt try this for the rears: Start with good high pressure, Roll the tires over (not Force style burnouts) then move the truck fwd slightly and look at your marks. If they are lighter on the outside edges, air down evenly in 2 lb increments till you have uniform marks the width of each tire. Even if the tires are worn on the edges you still should be able to end up with the best and most even contact patch. Should be mo betta.

Lower the launch psi as others have recommended.

Clamp the rear springs.

Look at a front suspension that may permit more droop travel. (Kore, Lorens, your own custom conception, whatever) With the weight transfer at launch, you want to make sure you can keep the front tires planted firmly.

Then I'd look for a front differential traction aid. Locker may not be ideal.

$.02

Another thing............................

Don't throw parts and gizmos at something that has more to do with technique than the hardware!!! Practice, practice, practice:poke:

I can cut 1.6 60's with a COMPLETLY STOCK suspension at 800 hp!!! No clamps, no traction bars, no slicks, no nothing. But then again, I will go to the track sometimes and do nothing but launch and 60's. ;)

do you have a BD RAD??? I can cut 1.67 60' times with only 600HP Its all about finding the line between overpower and underpower...

Lavon

Listen to the Amish one... He is wise!

It would help if you listed your mods. Also put your truck on a diet. It's hard to get a good 60' with a heavy truck.

Paul

Another thing............................

Don't throw parts and gizmos at something that has more to do with technique than the hardware!!! Practice, practice, practice:poke:

I can cut 1.6 60's with a COMPLETLY STOCK suspension at 800 hp!!! No clamps, no traction bars, no slicks, no nothing. But then again, I will go to the track sometimes and do nothing but launch and 60's. ;)

I agree, which is why I am looking for a general opinion. I agree with the lower boost launch, it stands to reason if I'm spinning all 4 that far, then I'm over powering my tires.
I believe I will leave everything the same, but swap to the new tires, experiment with air pressures, and boost levels. I sure as hell cant afford a locker nor slicks, or a converter. But with new rubber that is less agressive and wider, that may be the ticket.
Going to have to get some more passes on her as well, you cant buy experience, which is why I started the thread in the first place. Thank you gentlemen, keep it coming.

true trac can go in the front. same type of gear locker that is in your rear axle. they run 550-600 range

Back