600hp, clutches, and shifting

oldestof11

Drag racer
Been doing a lot of reading and emailed Valair. Seems like their street triple might be the ticket but I have 2 questions:

Is this too much clutch?
Any other options for a fast shifting clutch to take some abuse?

Right when I thought you were an ok guy...
Why? Why in the Fark do you guys still try to make an nv, zf, or whatever it may be, a freakin old rock crusher Muncie? F all of that and put an auto in it.

I know but...

The novelty...

When I blow this thing up, I will be putting in an auto, more than likely not a Dodge tranny though.

For gods sale I hope you don't mean Allison...

For gods sale I hope you don't mean Allison...

X1000. The SC V Allison was the worst part of my LBZ. IFS was a piece of cake compared to that.

That triple is supposed to be tits, but still not what you want for racing. The NV4500 is just the wrong choice.

BTW, doesn't Dan even run an auto in his race truck?

Valair said they developed that for racing applications.

No Allison. Thinking 5R110 or more like 4L80/85.

Valair said they developed that for racing applications.

No Allison. Thinking 5R110 or more like 4L80/85.

The 5R hates low-end TQ. Poor choice for a Cummins.

And with the triple, Valair probably made it for racing and it'll take it. It's not the clutch you need to worry about; it's the synchros.

I can't stand towing with a modded auto. It's the only reason I've chosen to stay with a manual. Even if it means I'm a bit slower. It'll still be fun.

I can't stand towing with a modded auto. It's the only reason I've chosen to stay with a manual. Even if it means I'm a bit slower. It'll still be fun.

Care to elaborate why you hate towing with an auto? I ask because I've never had one and seriously thinking about going built auto.

Care to elaborate why you hate towing with an auto? I ask because I've never had one and seriously thinking about going built auto.

It sucks, man. It doesn't pick the same gear you'd pick.,.EVER. It's either lugging or at redline, not to mention it can't see what's ahead (hill or steep descent). Don't do it!

Plus everybody knows auto duallies are ghey!

Last edited:
It sucks, man. It doesn't pick the same gear you'd pick.,.EVER. It's either lugging or at redline, not to mention it can't see what's ahead (hill or steep descent). Don't do it!

Plus everybody knows auto duallies are ghey!

Oh no you didant! But what if I go full manual valve body? What says you to that? And I seriously think I wanna put an auto in it... If Jory sees this he will probably have me assassinated.

Oh no you didant! But what if I go full manual valve body? What says you to that? And I seriously think I wanna put an auto in it... If Jory sees this he will probably have me assassinated.

LMAO.

Honestly, I cannot report on the Manual VB. I've gone Garmon 47RH, Suncoast 3 Ally, Suncoast 5 Ally, ZF6, 5R110, A618, NV4500. In that order. All straightforward performance builds because they were all work trucks.

There have been some nights, though, that I would've killed to have that Garmon Auto in this dually.

Last edited:
LMAO.

Honestly, I cannot report on the Manual VB. I've gone Garmon 47RH, Suncoast 3 Ally, Suncoast 5 Ally, ZF6, 5R110, A618, NV4500. In that order.

I've driven one truck with a Garmon 47re... I loved every minute of it. While it sounds very foolish, this particular dually, gets babied and has only towed like 2 or 3 times since I've owned it.
I've never been in a built Allison but I hate HATE my dads stock one.

I've driven one truck with a Garmon 47re... I loved every minute of it. While it sounds very foolish, this particular dually, gets babied and has only towed like 2 or 3 times since I've owned it.
I've never been in a built Allison but I hate HATE my dads stock one.

I added to my last post.

Honestly, though, if you're using that truck like you say, I'd do a manual VB auto...and those 315's of course'

I added to my last post.

Honestly, though, if you're using that truck like you say, I'd do a manual VB auto...and those 315's of course'

Ha! I mean I just don't tow that much. I'd love to pull it but I'm to big of a puss. I kinda think at my power level, an auto for wheel speed would help but I'm no expert bench warmer either. I couldn't even begin to be competitive in a 2.6 style class and I don't think I could compete in our workstock style class either. Parts breakage is my main concern with my 5600 or an auto.

I know some are probably clueless as to why I bought a dually but I guess the only reasoning I have is because I wanted it.

That, and the fact that truck was a steal. There's nothing meaner than a dually on mud tires anyway.

Do you DD something else?

That, and the fact that truck was a steal. There's nothing meaner than a dually on mud tires anyway.

Do you DD something else?

Yea I DD something else unless I just feel like driving it. However when I go anywhere longer distance I always take me truck for some reason so I've already put very close to 10k miles on it.

Then yeah, you're definitely a puss for not pulling it! Haha.

Your local 2.6 class pretty serious? Around here, you could clean house with a properly set up 700 hp truck in 2.6. Last year some competitive Midwest trucks came down and put 20 feet on everybody. My truck was under construction (lucky for them).

Then yeah, you're definitely a puss for not pulling it! Haha.

Your local 2.6 class pretty serious? Around here, you could clean house with a properly set up 700 hp truck in 2.6. Last year some competitive Midwest trucks came down and put 20 feet on everybody. My truck was under construction (lucky for them).

For a lot of other areas... It's not as serious but the upper trucks in 2.6 run pretty good. Gotta remember my truck is only 450 horse. Our 2.6 ranges from small to big. There is a big gap between first and last. Our workstock class... Well idk lol.
Dan (zstroken) used to live down by me. He was an upper pulling truck on a regular schedule.

Back