68 rfe shifting problem

cumminspuller

diesel junky
I'm having problems with an 07 68rfe shifting. I tried doing a search but did not come up with anything. The truck is deleted and has been for about 60k miles. It is an 07 3500 4WD with Smarty Jr. 160k miles. The transmission is jumping to 4th gear. The truck started doing this about 3 weeks ago. The first 2 times the truck the truck was cold when it did it. The third time the truck had been on the road for an hour and a half already. It shifts through the gears fine and when it goes to shift to 5th its like it starts to shift and drops back to 4th and will not shift out. I have to stop the truck and shift to park. Turn the truck off and start it back up. It may run and work just fine and it might do it again. Once it drops back to 4th turning the truck off is the only way to get it to shift right again. I reprogramed the Smarty and the truck did not give any problems for 8-10 days of driving and towing. It has gone to more frequently doing this in the past 3 days. Does anyone have any ideas of where and what to start checking? I want to think it is something electrical. When its not locking in 4th gear it runs fine. The trans does not seem like it is slipping any. Everything works as it should. Could it be something as simple as a fluid change?? Thanks

Chris

Well mine did the same thing, that sounds like limp mode so I'd make an educated guess and say its time for a new trans

Valve body will fix it. The problem is the valve bodies are back ordered. You can use a 68rfe gas valve body, not back ordered, swap some springs and you will be good to go. The 07.5-09 valve bodies are not anodized and they get a valve bore out of spec. Get a hold of Firepunk, they know what will fix it!

I had the same issue. Had a local shop do a total rebuild, converter,shift kit and so on. Got it back and kept going into limp mode. They kept blaming the solinoid pack. After three of them later they got one that would work! Week later same prob. They looked took the valve body apart put it back together. Worked good. Now from time to time it doesn't want to shift into 6th.. They keep blameing V B. How is "firepunk" fixing this issue? Do they have a web site?

New vb's are hard anodized. That is the fix.
Firepunk wont ship a 68rfe.
If it has some miles on it with poor maintenance, then look at a rebuild and vb.
Roughly 3k.

Where do you get a valve body from if firepunk won't ship them? I'm not looking for a 1000hp truck. I just need it to be reliable. It doesn't tow nor drag race. Just drives down the street.

Where do you get a valve body from if firepunk won't ship them? I'm not looking for a 1000hp truck. I just need it to be reliable. It doesn't tow nor drag race. Just drives down the street.
Chrysler has them.

Back