69 c10 short wide 2wd duramax transmission options

regulator

I bought an '06 lbz engine by itself without donor vehicle or transmission. The truck is a 69 c10 2wd short box. I'm having a hard time choosing a trans. I have 0 experience with 4l85 or the Allison. I'm guessing the trucks gonna be 5000# and if I'm lucky 500hp someday. Just a driver not a drag truck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 47rh is an option too. I'm stuck!!

I would go with a 06 Allison for sure, shouldn't be too tough to find the rest of the stuff you need to make it work. Double overdrive is really nice on the freeway, and they can be built to handle the power you're wanting.

Id go with the allison also, bt diesel works can make you a stand alone for the engine an trans I believe if you're not comfortable with the wiring

Personally I'd go 4L80/4L85. It'll bolt right up to the Duramax, shouldn't have an issue getting one to hold the power and you won't have the ridiculous weight/size of an Allison in a lighter weight 2wd truck. You can also get stand alone harnesses to control the trans so that isn't an issue.

^^what he said x10, 4L80e will hold no prob, and its smaller package.

Josh H runs pretty fast with nitrous and drag racing a van. He has the 4L85E.

I found some vids of the van on youtube . I see that its gutted but I bet its still pretty heavy. I think if the 4l85e is holding up to the abuse he's putting that van through it will fine for this driver. It seems like the 85 is a lot harder to find than an 80. Is it worth searching for 85? Thanks for all your help guys.

I found some vids of the van on youtube . I see that its gutted but I bet its still pretty heavy. I think if the 4l85e is holding up to the abuse he's putting that van through it will fine for this driver. It seems like the 85 is a lot harder to find than an 80. Is it worth searching for 85? Thanks for all your help guys.

IMO. No. It has a couple upgraded parts but that's it. Found behind 8.1L Suburbans and Avalanches. Also behind the Duramax work vans.

Lighter than a RC/LB pickup. Look on car-part.com. You should be able to find one at a local boneyard using that site.

Is a turbo 400 out of the question?

I have been looking at ATI's supercase turbo 400 with lockup.

Last edited:
Ok I just re-read the first post. Its a daily driver.

Yeah the 4l85e would be a good match then.

There is a 4L80e in Iowa that needs a new home....

I pooped today!!!!!

If you could go to a tall enough rear gear a Turbo 400 lockup would be sweet. Probably need to be in the 3.00-3.20 range with a decently tall tire to make it work though.

If you could go to a tall enough rear gear a Turbo 400 lockup would be sweet. Probably need to be in the 3.00-3.20 range with a decently tall tire to make it work though.

That new supercase looks pretty strong. 6 pinion straight cut planets. It is tempting in a full time racer.
The od will be nice on the street though

from mobile

Personally I'd go 4L80/4L85. It'll bolt right up to the Duramax, shouldn't have an issue getting one to hold the power and you won't have the ridiculous weight/size of an Allison in a lighter weight 2wd truck. You can also get stand alone harnesses to control the trans so that isn't an issue.

Yeah not a bad option either- especially if you never go faster than 65 and keep your gear ratio reasonable and tire size moderate. Will be a cool pickup when you get it done.

I recently bought a LGH and 6L90E to put in my 69 1/2 ton. I want to run around 6.90 in an 1/8 and drive to the track. I'm looking for someone who can build this trans to hold up to maybe 700 and 1200 torque? just guessing on what it will take to run that time. A 6L90E could probably hold the 500 though and it's not much bigger than a turbo 400. My truck was ordered with a 400 turbo so it has a two piece tunnel that may clear the 6L90E so I would really like to use it.

I didn't know it took an act of congress to get a 4l85e! I finally found one on CL out of an ambulance, and picked it up yesterday. Thanks again for all the input. Now I can get the drivetrain mocked up.

Cab came off a camper

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389551528939.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389551528939.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389551568779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389551568779.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389551593168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389551593168.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0