6bt hydraulic pump as a ps pump? Will it work?

mx_racer_36

I got a bendix 2150 air comp with a hydraulic pump I was wanting to put on my 12v for my Fummins build. I was wondering if using the hydro pump as a ps pump would work? I can run a cooler on it to help stay cool. I have a buddy who did this on a obs ford and seems to work ok but my 04 has hydro boost brakes and I was wondering if it would screw that up or work ok?

Any one that has tried this or has more knowledge on this stuff any info would be great!

That's basically what a PS pump is, just a hydraulic pump. As long as the volume is enough, it should work and pressure should be close to the same.

I just dealt with using a random pump I dug out on a 02 Fummins.

Pump was a vickers vane pump with a cartidge type relief valve. Put it on a engine and hooked the hydraulic flow/pressure tester to it. It did about 3gpm and 2300 psi. Some googling led me to a company that sold upgraded pumps for superdutys. Their pump used with hydraboost was 4gpm and 1500psi. They claimed this was a huge improvement over a stock pump. I changed the relief to a 1500psi version and put it on the truck. Steers great, brakes great, stays cool. Better than the stock 7.3 pump.

I also recently converted my 97 to hydraboost. It has a 2001 Dodge pump on it and I always thought the steering sucked, and the brakes were awful. Hydraboosted it and while the brakes are obviously better, the steering is better too. The Dodge pump must have been beating on the relief just feeding my steering. Added brakes to it and must have made it happy.

I did this about a year ago. It's a good idea to know where you're at on gmp and relief pressure.

Flows 16l per hr and puts out almost 2400psi. So I guess I just need to figure out what psi the truck needs and set up a inline relief before it goes to the box

Back