7.3 Intake heater in a 5.9

RJM06590

What to do
The 7.3s have an intake heater to help with warming the truck up. Anyone ever think to put one on a 5.9? Or does anyone know how much heat they put off? I don't want to put my grid heater in nor bump the timing down for the winter, but if I don't plug it in for an hour or two ahead of time it won't start.

seems like both a timing change, and or re-installing the grid heater are easier solutions than trying to retrofit a 7.3 heater. IMO

They're pretty simple, just need to weld a nut onto the cold pipe and wiring. I don't currently have the wiring setup for a grid.

The intake heater is right by the turbo on the 7.3
anygydaj.jpg

7.3L's have had them since 99

The intake heater is right by the turbo on the 7.3
anygydaj.jpg

That these guys have said.

On my old 7.3 when my glow plugs weren't working due to a shot relay, I had a buddy arc it but he actually did the IAH and the truck did fire up, was a rough choppy start but it did fired on up

Yeah most people delete them so Im sure I could get one for free. It would help for warm up too.

I might have one laying around after I deleted mine back when I owned a 7.3

Last edited:
what honestly does a really good job for cheap is if you get a little light bulb and you put it in that gap between the pump and intake. It warms stuff just enough. Obviously you'd have to let it sit for about 20min or longer, but I was impressed by it when an old man that lives in the mountains told me to try it.

I might have one laying around after I deleted mine back when I owned a 7.3

Let me know if you can.

what honestly does a really good job for cheap is if you get a little light bulb and you put it in that gap between the pump and intake. It warms stuff just enough. Obviously you'd have to let it sit for about 20min or longer, but I was impressed by it when an old man that lives in the mountains told me to try it.

Yeah I don't mind plugging it in, but after it sits for 5 hours in this cold it's pissy. The heater would help warm it up faster too.

Park it in winter...

If my plow truck got more than 9-10 mpg I would.

The 7.3 deal is a neat idea, can't believe I never thought of it. I've been thinking about drilling and tapping my intake plate for a couple glow plugs, but hate the idea of one burning and falling into the intake! There are a few sled pullers running glow plugs in their intakes, or was!

The 7.3 deal is a neat idea, can't believe I never thought of it. I've been thinking about drilling and tapping my intake plate for a couple glow plugs, but hate the idea of one burning and falling into the intake! There are a few sled pullers running glow plugs in their intakes, or was!

Yeah I think I might try it.

Dyno runs show a substantial loss from grids.

Probably don't even need to weld a nut on...just drill and tap the gutted grid housing.

Back