7.3l cold start problem

Finkfarms

I have a 01 powerstroke that won't start if the truck has not been plugged in for atleast 3-5 hours. What may casue this issue and where do I start to fixing this?

and glow plugs. try not to get the cheap ones they dont last as long.

I don't here it cycling the plugs. I'm going try the relay but if its not then what?

What's good name brand for glow plugs? I work for a parts store but I want ones will last so not having this problem.

i used the best ones they had a napa when i did mine. but i just went for the 13$ ones and not the 7$ ones

I upgraded the GPR to a Stancor relay part # 586-902, on my 2000. Best thing I ever put on it, 2 degrees this morning and she started no problem. Not plugged in either straight glow plugs.

Where can I get a Stancor relay? Ok ill go with good glow plugs seeing work at a napa.

Motorcraft ZD11
Dont use anything else. Others tend to get pregnant and swell.
Glow plug relay, Use whatever works for you.

Ok thank you. I think going to start with the Stancor relay and if doesn't work ill do glow plugs.

We put a relay in it and it helped some. We are planning on getting glow plugs replaced. I also think that new batterys are going to help to. Anyone had to replace air intake heater or air intake heater relay?

Good batterys are a must, I haven't heard of anyone replacing the air intake heater or relay. But it wouldn't hurt to test them.

looks like going to need put glow plugs in. Wouldn't start this morning. Might end up selling it in the ended for a regular cab.

if its not the glow plug or the relays to the plugs its prolly your injectors going out on you. they will do that not start in the cold crap when the pluners and barrles are messed up or worn out. Mine did it. new injectors fixed it right up.

I wouldn't think its injectors unless you have a ton of miles. The 2000 and newer powerstrokes had titanium plugers in them which handled the forces better then the earlier models. When this happened to me I ended up replacing the glow plugs and relay, along with new batteries. The powerstrokes draw a ton of juice heating up the glow plugs, you should be able to see a good draw when you cycle the key on. Mine actually dimmes the lights till the relay opens back up.

Truck does have high miles but was always serviced at the local ford dealership

Back