7 second Duramax??

Doesn't Dmitri run Wagler engines? As far as I know they've only been in front of a sled once. Does that make them "puller engines" also even tho they're never in dirt?

Doesn't Dmitri run Wagler engines? As far as I know they've only been in front of a sled once. Does that make them "puller engines" also even tho they're never in dirt?

As of Fleece event last year they where in 3 super stock trucks couldn't tell you how many are now

Big huge oversized turbo bolted on a engine that takes a week to spool up...lol

How by definition are they oversized? I don't know if a single mod truck / rail that doesn't come up rather quickly. Look at John's rail.

It's gotten way better over the years. To be considered a drag engine it should spool and stage in less than 5 seconds. Especially since auto start is 7 seconds.

It used to be real bad, guys would start spooling way before the pre stage, and tale 15-20 seconds to get going .

Typically the joke was "it's a puller engine" because they took their good Ole time as if it was in front of a sled.

It's gotten way better over the years. To be considered a drag engine it should spool and stage in less than 5 seconds. Especially since auto start is 7 seconds.

It used to be real bad, guys would start spooling way before the pre stage, and tale 15-20 seconds to get going .

Typically the joke was "it's a puller engine" because they took their good Ole time as if it was in front of a sled.

There is video of Kyle Michaels taking almost a full.minute just to get ontop of the turbos..

Now they are usually moving in less then 10sec by the time they pull the hook tight

Engine setup to run in a dedicated sled pulling truck
Then by your lack of definition all these motors in drag trucks are drag motors...as they were all built with the intention of going into drag trucks.

The only deciding factor here seems to be spool time? In that case, I can just buy a pull engine, slap a small turbo on it and call it a drag engine?

Why even put labels on it.. LOL

Interesting build to say the least. A lot of time and effort into it. I don't see 7s, but it would be awesome to get proven wrong!

Then by your lack of definition all these motors in drag trucks are drag motors...as they were all built with the intention of going into drag trucks.

Pretty Much... Especially on a dedicated application..
I have yet to hear
a drag racer add weight to a rotating assembly
Or
A sled puller go to extreme measures to remove any and all unnecessary weight to a rotating assembly, anf apply that to rotating driveline parts as well..

I have heard racers pulling weight and pullers adding weight to rotating masses

Last edited:
Pretty Much... Especially on a dedicated application..
I have yet to hear
a drag racer add weight to a rotating assembly
Or
A sled puller go to extreme measures to remove any and all unnecessary weight to a rotating assembly, anf apply that to rotating driveline parts as well..

I have heard racers pulling weight and pullers adding weight to rotating masses
See, now you're getting to the meat and potatoes. I highly doubt any of these wagler built motors were originally intended for a sled puller. It's not as if Brett had a 3.0 truck and one day threw his hands up and said no more, I'm going drag racing. These motors were built with drag racing as the main goal.

Wagler is quite possibly on the forefront as far as extreme dmax builds here lately. Their destroked motor did some work yesterday on Fleece's dyno, showing that less displacement could make the same power if not more.

The only deciding factor here seems to be spool time? In that case, I can just buy a pull engine, slap a small turbo on it and call it a drag engine?

Why even put labels on it.. LOL

Interesting build to say the least. A lot of time and effort into it. I don't see 7s, but it would be awesome to get proven wrong!
Reason being is that many sledpullers add weight to the rotating assembly to aid in keeping the rpms up. Whereas drag racers attempt to lighten the rotating assembly as light as possible.

Back