79 k30 build

02smokemaker

So I figured I would start a write up of the build I'm starting.
This is my 79 k30 dually
hypa4apu.jpg

The specs on the truck as it sits are as follows,

1, 1 1/4 ton frame
2, Dana 70hd rear Dana 60 front
3, hydroboost installed
4, 4" 1 ton lift
Plans for the truck are,
1, frame off restore
2, box frame
3, convert to stick
4, install dt466
5, arb's f/r
6, hydro assist steering
7, military xml tires
8, custom hitch
Going to get the full satin black paint.
So enjoy the start is going to be a little slow but will have many pics and uodates!!
Thanks!!
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Originally a military truck?

Regardless, AWESOME build! I wanna see lots of pics! I have a 79 K20 on surplus 37's that someday will have a 12 Valve.

sounds like an awesome build! i like the dt466 idea. is the dt466 going to be mechanical or heui?

No it was a well drilling rig! It had a unit in the bed. I want to use a 93-98 p- pump dt but a Good friend of mine works on them and wants me to put a late model one in.
The newer ones use a injection system that's the same as the power strokes.... Ehhh lol
Best part it has 23k original miles!!!

Last edited:
Hello all,
So here is a very small update but some more pics! I have the divorced 205 all mounted for for the moment. Made some 1/4" and 1/2" brackets for it. It is tied into factory crossmember and the frame by 4 different attachment points!
9yqe8ehe.jpg

2atu5y3e.jpg

sedy5y9y.jpg

u3amu5ed.jpg

The head on the dt is 36" long here is a shot of a tape going from the back of the firewall to the radiator support.
emezuhyt.jpg

It will be snug, but I think the only thing I will have to modify will be the lower section of the firewall for the sae housing!
Here is a general engine bay shot.
a4aha7en.jpg

The last pic shows the difference of frame length between the factory 1ton frame and the 1 1/4 ton frame.
It's a little over 4". I will resolve this gap during build!
ry6u9eru.jpg

One more showing where the t-case is from above.
8y8eqydu.jpg

Enjoy until next time!!
Once I finish my new shop I will mock up engine then start tear down!!

Nice project! I had a DT466 sitting in my 76 K30 5 years ago. I was going to have to do major fire wall surgery to fit it in there, so I traded the engine back for the 12v I had originally. my 466 was a 81 rotary pump engine. If it was a p-pumped engine, I would have kept it. Good luck with it man!

I know I'm going to have to get creative to get it right. But its going to be worth it.

Good luck with the build.will be interesting to see the DT In there we will need alot of pictures though.

Dale

So this truck is being built as a daily/ puller. Talking to the rule guys I can't run a dt466 in my truck for pulling. It has to be a engine that was available in a 1 ton or less. So now I have to choose between a 6bt or a duri. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I say Duramax just to be different. Like Dale said, depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

Tobin

I like the idea of a duri but I don't want to spend 50k to get a reliable 6-700hp?

I have no problem spending money but don't like to piss it away!

Back