8.3L Cummins Transplant

Yeah, stop making excuses! And there's another item for the to do list when you get up this way, check out Chris's collection! I'd like to try to get back down there again sometime now that my boys are old enough to enjoy seeing all of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a customer that runs a lot of Texas/Oklahoma stuff. We are working together to find a spot on a trailer that is economical for everybody.
You do this I might have to personally drive out and mount up a set of giant chrome truck nuts on Jorys truck....... LOL:poke:

I'll be sure to use one of the hardest metals to cut for the mounting ring. That way he will have to cut through the actual nut bag to remove it. :evil:evil:evil

Well...she's back home. I'm going to try to gather up some fuel line parts today. Some 3/4 and some 3/8 return and she may be connected to the fuel tank. Naturally, it's all plumbed on the wrong side for the 8.3L Pretty much everything is. LOL

attachment.php

If anyone has wiring diagrams for 1979 GMC 7000's....I'd surely be grateful to see them. :D

Edit. It just struck me. If I pull the pick-up tube insert out of the two tanks and swap them....then all the lines will be on the correct side. That might just be the way to go. I really don't like hanging fuel lines over the bell housing where all the heat is.....and you know I'm gonna use hose and not bend lines. Lines come out of the passenger side and the lift pump on the 8.3L is naturally on the driver's.

Attachments

• IMG_8324.jpg
    IMG_8324.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The problem with hauling it is the weight and size of trailer. Most states don't take kindly to out-of-staters pulling a dual tandem through their state without given the driver some short of hell. MO is probably the worst. I can't "legally" haul over 26,000# GCW outside of 175 miles of the farm. :D

PA will give you a ticket if your combo is over 26,000 GVWR and do not have a CDL. I have the ticket to prove it. Luckily I was able to play dumb farm tractor collector so it was only $25 plus fees vs $1,000 plus fees.

PA will give you a ticket if your combo is over 26,000 GVWR and do not have a CDL. I have the ticket to prove it. Luckily I was able to play dumb farm tractor collector so it was only $25 plus fees vs $1,000 plus fees.

That is my fear. My truck and trailer is around 14,600# empty and the truck is around 13,400# empty. Would be in the neighborhood of 28K gross and would be over 26K GCWR. And I really wouldn't want to do that to my pour Dodge. That's a chit-ton of wear to haul that heavy that far for so long.

Got the fuel return line ran. Fuel supply line will be done tonight...I was a fitting short of completion.

Both batteries were dead as hell. I put the charge on them. While working on the fuel return line I touched the fuel shut off solenoid. It was warm. Apparently when I wired it I connected the red wire to a hot...not a keyed hot. I hope the batteries will recover from being at 0 volts for a year and a half. Effin dumb ass. :nail:

Last edited:
I touched the fuel shut off solenoid. It was warm. Apparently when I wired it I connected the red wire to a hot...not a keyed hot. I hope the batteries will recover from being at 0 volts for a year and a half. Effin dumb ass. :nail:

And you call yourself an electrician. :lolly:

I other news, I spent the evening sanding and painting the wheels on my Jeep. My back hurts.

Last edited:
And you call yourself an electrician. :lolly:

I other news, I spent the evening sanding and painting the wheels on my Jeep. My back hurts.

Ya. The orange wire is right next to the red wire on the firewall. Apparently, when I turned my head to grab the socket, I must have turned back around and put it on the wrong post. Freaking dumbass. Sometimes I want to hit myself in the head with a hammer. I always have good intentions...it the execution that needs work. LOL

In other news....did you not put your wheels on a table or were you sanding them on the vehicle? :hehe:

In other news....did you not put your wheels on a table or were you sanding them on the vehicle? :hehe:

I had them off put new Nitto 420 tires on. It was one of those jobs that you start on and have to finish. About 10% in. I'm like.... **** !

I have a Motor manual here, I'll dig it out and see if the schematic is in there. It wont cover the Cummins though. What are you looking for exactly?

Looing for the diagram of the firewall connections for all the instruments and junk. There are wires all over this thing and 90% of them need to be removed. I just don't know what I can and can't remove. Looking for the chassis wiring junk.

I had them off put new Nitto 420 tires on. It was one of those jobs that you start on and have to finish. About 10% in. I'm like.... **** !

I have a Motor manual here, I'll dig it out and see if the schematic is in there. It wont cover the Cummins though. What are you looking for exactly?

Nitto 420’s on a Jeep? Somehow that doesn’t sound quite right.....

Anyone know what idler I need for this thing? I have two versions here and neither seems to work.
e51b3a8e2269d48ccf159444906e943f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back