8.3L Cummins Transplant

What the heck do they teach at vocational schools anymore? I have a high school kid who comes in everyday after school and he is in the auto tech program. The teachers didn't know how to time a 350 small block.... I had to explain to him what tdc was and how to put the distributor on #1. They spent two weeks trying to figure out how to make it run.

They teach what all schools teach....whatever to State tells them they have to.

I've sat on a couple boards for our local schools diesel and ag programs...the teachers want to tech more, but they don't have time with the curriculum they HAVE to cover, plus the amount of students they have, it just takes too long. They can just basically get started on things before they have to keep going to something else.

Chris

I've sat on a couple boards for our local schools diesel and ag programs...the teachers want to tech more, but they don't have time with the curriculum they HAVE to cover, plus the amount of students they have, it just takes too long. They can just basically get started on things before they have to keep going to something else.

Chris

Thankfully our local tech school diesel instructor can follow a path of his choice, but I know he's overwhelmed with students with no mechanical aptitude that take diesel tech just because of (insert magazine, tv show etc.) I feel for him on that, an aptitude test for admission would work wonders. I'm on their advisory board and I'm actually impressed with what all is done in his curriculum, when his students come to the college, we can usually pick them out!

Just curious why you pulled the dog house to do a gasket? It's not needed. I do agree with not putting it under the cowl though not fun at all

The question you should be asking is why the fuk build a truck that NEEDS a doghouse. Owner decided to overhaul it, easier to pull the DH than to pull liners while working in a cave.

Oh and I still hate Cummins! In the lot right now, one 870 with a broken crank, one 871 with a broken crank and this 870 that decided to crack a piston in less than a year.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456793790.360482.jpg

No offense but if someone gave me a Volvo with an ISX in it, I'd pull the ISX and find something else to put it in.

If someone gave me a Volvo I would trade it for a lawnmower, engine color wouldn't really matter. However if it was yellow I probably wouldn't have to throw quite so much $$ in to equal the value of the mower. Only thing worse would be a ProStar/Lonestar.

The question you should be asking is why the fuk build a truck that NEEDS a doghouse. Owner decided to overhaul it, easier to pull the DH than to pull liners while working in a cave.

Oh and I still hate Cummins! In the lot right now, one 870 with a broken crank, one 871 with a broken crank and this 870 that decided to crack a piston in less than a year.View attachment 62028

If someone gave me a Volvo I would trade it for a lawnmower, engine color wouldn't really matter. However if it was yellow I probably wouldn't have to throw quite so much $$ in to equal the value of the mower. Only thing worse would be a ProStar/Lonestar.

Your failures are amazing. I have never seen a broken x crank from anything other than a separate failure.

Maybe I can shorten it and then just pay to have it balanced for less than $100? I'll call the guys in OKC today and price some junk. The dayum thing weights a few hundred pounds....how bad off can I get it? LOL

Pulled 10spd out of my dads truck and put in a 13spd. Cost $50 to shorten one shaft and about 20min.

Your failures are amazing. I have never seen a broken x crank from anything other than a separate failure.

After talking to more people it seems it's quite common. Pete dealer in TX overhauled one and it puked it's guts out at the traffic light in front of the dealership when the owner was leaving with it. Shop in New England has seen 5 broke. This 871 is new, and I mean brand new. Was started without oil at IH factory and spun cam bearings. Local guy bought it and was sent to machine shop. All oil passages were checked and crank was polished. Put in truck and made it 6mo.

This should make the quality go up! Lmao
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456794955.632746.jpg

Was the crank Rockwell tested. Bet there was an issue. Idk maybe people just don't bring the really broken stuff in

Was the crank Rockwell tested. Bet there was an issue. Idk maybe people just don't bring the really broken stuff in

Ask Cummins the 871 never made it out of the factory so it had zero miles.

I don't know anyone that takes their trucks to Cummins or Cat for service after the warranty is up. Paying twice the price for the same work. Pay $30k for an overhaul that costs $15k elsewhere with the same junk parts.

Extend it with a piece of polished stainless steel sheet metal contoured to match. Would serve the purpose and be a flashy/fancy "nose stripe" sorta like a hockey puck on the old camaros just without the stick part. :D

The old hood has some cracks anyways so some fiber repairs wouldn't hurt it by any means. I got a few idears. :D

Last edited:
Ask Cummins the 871 never made it out of the factory so it had zero miles.

I don't know anyone that takes their trucks to Cummins or Cat for service after the warranty is up. Paying twice the price for the same work. Pay $30k for an overhaul that costs $15k elsewhere with the same junk parts.

Where are you from? I agree the labor is crazy. Not practical

97 rada you must work at a special Cummins dealer or something my man. We had 15 new ISX cranks last year and sold them overnight practically.

Chris

They plug scanners into vehicles and look up what the codes mean. He said this is their daily routine. Engine work has happened once. Pathetic.

97 rada you must work at a special Cummins dealer or something my man. We had 15 new ISX cranks last year and sold them overnight practically.

I must. There is one crank failure like 8 years ago that wasn't explained by other failures.

The old hood has some cracks anyways so some fiber repairs wouldn't hurt it by any means. I got a few idears. :D

Sheet metal and pop rivets. Pete has done it forever. Then swirl it like a Ravens trailer. LolImageUploadedByTapatalk1456848749.402500.jpg

I must. There is one crank failure like 8 years ago that wasn't explained by other failures.

I spent some time at a distributor, and I don't recall any crank failures at that point (back in the days of 870 engines). We used to see a TON of jake foot failures and I saw some rod failures, but I can't recall any ISX crank failures. Must have started in the later years.

I spent some time at a distributor, and I don't recall any crank failures at that point (back in the days of 870 engines). We used to see a TON of jake foot failures and I saw some rod failures, but I can't recall any ISX crank failures. Must have started in the later years.

That's where I am at. A distributor. We don't see it on 871,2250,2350. Nothing. Out failures are fuel pumps. Turbos. Liners dropping. Maybe a head gasket. The rest is typically poor maintenance

We don't see it on 871,2250,2350. [/QUOTE

870,871,2250,2350 :confused: I've been out of the game for a while, newest Cummins I've worked on was an N14 and M11.

Consider yourself a very lucky person.

FYI 870,871,2250, &2350 are the ISX ECM systems that Cummins has developed to keep us completely confused for the last decade or so.

Your parts are going to the ups store shortly Jory, the ladies in there are gonna hate me for such a small heavy box!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Your parts are going to the ups store shortly Jory, the ladies in there are gonna hate me for such a small heavy box!!

They've seen worse. LOL

Thanks buddy.

Going to pick up the frame rail extensions now...and get some mig wire. :D

Back