8.50-9.99 et certified roll cage 4x4 dodge

5150ram

the god father
Has anyone got there 4x4 drag truck certified by Nhra to go into the 9's. What are your thoughts on dom or chromoly for the cage. Thanks Chris

My black truck was cert. for an 8.5. It was mild steel 1 5/8. On a 4x4 your already at such a weight disadvantage that CM might should be concidered? Lots of bars in that cage, how do you do the windshield bar in a street truck that I assume has all the dash and stuff?

We do Chris. We decided not to go with chrome moly because of cost.

Might want to talk with your local, or regional, NHRA chassis cert person and ask a lot of questions. I had the Div. 6 NHRA chassis cert guy come to my shop. He went over everything with a fine tooth comb and did sound readings for thickness.

We decided to over build the cage in case of a wreck with 2" and extra gussets and cross bars. Now that the truck is 140MPH+, I feel it was a very good choice.

Do you mean the one across the fire wall? I was told not required with stock floor and fire wall.

We do Chris. We decided not to go with chrome moly because of cost.

Might want to talk with your local, or regional, NHRA chassis cert person and ask a lot of questions. I had the Div. 6 NHRA chassis cert guy come to my shop. He went over everything with a fine tooth comb and did sound readings for thickness.

We decided to over build the cage in case of a wreck with 2" and extra gussets and cross bars. Now that the truck is 140MPH+, I feel it was a very good choice.

I had a local chassis guy come by and we are cutting out what i have now to add bars and make it to were i can get a cert. What size tube did you use? Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Here are a couple more photos Chris. Email me for larger pics as I can't seem to get the big ones on here properly. robcoddens@msn.com

Last edited:
Mine isn't 4wd, but my 1/2 ton we decided heavier was better...I believe it's 1-7/8" .091 tubing, but that's been so long I'd have to go look up what we used.

Chris

Shoot if you're running up in Redding, just throw some muffler tubing in it, they'll let ya through LOL

My certification is to 8.50 and is done in chrome moly. Will try to post pics later.
Meacham Evins

Not to derail, but you going to be ready for next season Meacham?

Shoot if you're running up in Redding, just throw some muffler tubing in it, they'll let ya through LOL

Redding :hehe: It passed in Saltlake, Indy, and Fallon. The problem is I am shooting for 9's this year and need a real cert.

That is what I am putting into my truck. I have the kit sitting in the garage now.. looks like real nice work... now if my welding skills matched,, LOL

I bet that makes you feel safe on those tracks.

We do not put safety equipment in a racer, to just satisfy the tech official, it is there to give you a little better chance of surviving if it all goes bad.
You should look at least using 2 inch .120-wall mild steel tubing and a funny car cage around the driver. No DOM tubing, but it is you life if you crash. Remember NHRA specs are just a minimum.I would go with a Jungle Jim look around the driver .

Moreover, if A NHRA track of official is letting people by, with less than required equipment, they should be turned in to NHRA, end of story. It is not just the car that is getting thru tech, that is in danger, but the rest of us that are in the other lane.

Doorslammer Funny Car Cage Conversions, Funny Car Cage Conversion - mild steel, Funny Car Cage Conversions - chrome moly Race Car Dragster Chassis, Roll bars, Cages, Suspensions, Parts

funnycar1.jpg

funnycar2.jpg

Last edited:
from the NHRA rule book

NOTICE: It is the responsibility of the participant, not
NHRA or any track, to ensure that all safety
Equipment is not modified or altered, is approved and
is correctly installed, worn, maintained and used

I have seen far too many of my friends in Racing hurt and killed, to not point the rules out. To run this fast you will also need a NHRA competition license. That license gives to the privilege to race, but also give you a responsibility to pass down the knowledge.

the rules require at this level a oil diaper, license, and many more aspects , then just a roll bar. You will also need a chassis tag after your finnised

Do you mean the one across the fire wall? I was told not required with stock floor and fire wall.

You are right you don't need one. Go check out Harvey's ramcharger, that one is good for 8.50, and chromoly.
One thing to remember, if you use cm it must be tig welded.

No DOM tubing, but it is you life if you crash. Remember NHRA specs are just a minimum.I would go with a Jungle Jim look around the driver .]

why not Dom? I used 2" .120 erw and it measures .115 or less. I plan on cutting it out and rebuilding. Thanks chris

I'm questioning why not DOM either.

I'm not metal expert, but used to build heavy duty hydraulic cylinders used in huge presses and we used DOM for strength from 2" up to 10" ID. Larger than that, and we had no choice and had to bore cold rolled.

+3 on not using DOM? I've never heard of that either? That's all we have ever used.

Back