80/83 .9 surging Cure?

Jordan Koehn

I had a 72/83 .9. Installed a 80 mm cast wheel and it's surging pretty bad past 20-25 psi. Drive pressure is at a 1:1 with boost. What do I need to do to fix it?

I'm thinking 1.10 exhaust housing with a spool flange. I'd like to have fairly decent spool. Better than the 72/83 if that's possible. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Ya. Well, I can buy a used 1.10 for a decent price. I have a thread looking for a 1.0 housing and no one has one for sale. Guess I'll have to buy new.

Is that why it's surging? Or is it because I have a stock intercooler and head. Only airflow mods I've made is a 181/210 cam.

With a compressor inducer larger than the turbine exducer in a single stage setup, changing the turbine housing will most likely not resolve the issue.

Modifing the recirculation groove will help move the surge line up in the map. BUT. With a compressor wheel that large, usually the 83/74 wheels will usually not suffice.

I had a 72/83 .9. Installed a 80 mm cast wheel and it's surging pretty bad past 20-25 psi. Drive pressure is at a 1:1 with boost. What do I need to do to fix it?

I'm thinking 1.10 exhaust housing with a spool flange. I'd like to have fairly decent spool. Better than the 72/83 if that's possible. Thanks for your input.

You're running this without a gate?

My plan was to see what drive was and then go from there. I know I'm gonna need a gate but I thought only on the top end. But drive is equal to boost when the surging starts.

My plan was to see what drive was and then go from there. I know I'm gonna need a gate but I thought only on the top end. But drive is equal to boost when the surging starts.

That's because when they make equal pressure, boost vs drive, the compressor wheels mass takes over and starts to surge. Where stated above, changing the turbine housing will not cure the surge. It will need a larger turbine wheel AND housing to keep the compressor out of its surge line.

Yep, too big of compressor for that turbine from my experience. Go back to a smaller comp wheel or step up the turbine size.

Back