86 Chevy Crew Cab Dually

PKirby

I converted my Cummins powered M1008 to a crew cab dually.
DCP_1638.jpg

I spliced the front section of my frame to a 2wd crew cab frame using a Z splice between the 2nd and 3rd cab mounts. I can leave everything as is on the Cummins conversion that way. I also bought another 2wd frame and cut it apart to use the frame rails to fully box my frame.

Cab is from an Air Force truck from Greenland. It has the common forklift damage on the door like many military trucks that are sent to auction.
DCP_2945.jpg

I got the 19.5 wheels powder coated, bought some new tires and wheel adapters.
DCP_3302.jpg

DCP_3305.jpg

I am using my original bed because it is in better shape and modifying it to accept the dually fenders.
DCP_3301.jpg

I removed the cab and bed, cut the original frame and the crew cab frame using a Z cut with an 8" long horizontal line. I got a professional welder to weld the splice. He used a stick instead of a mig. I have never had one of my welds fail but I have no formal training.
DCP_3336.jpg

DCP_3318.jpg

I fully boxed the frame with the extra frame rails. The crew cab frames use individual mounts at the rear of the cab and the standard cabs have an X-member. I used the X-member since the holes are in the same location. I also built a gooseneck hitch for it.
DCP_3322.jpg

DCP_3353.jpg

DCP_3355.jpg

DCP_3354.jpg

I had the the cab media blasted and I epoxy primed it and started on the body work. Then we mounted it on the frame and sprayed a coat of black epoxy. Then it was high build urethane and hours of block sanding. The paint is PPG 9300 black single stage urethane with the last coat 50% clear.
DCP_3358.jpg

DCP_3359.jpg

DCP_3360.jpg

Finally got it all painted.
DCP_3416.jpg

DCP_3415.jpg

Got the hood and front bumper installed and also set the bed up for the fuel tank. I also installed the prop shaft and a relay wiring kit that gives the Euro headlights more power and takes the load off of the switch.
DCP_3456.jpg

DCP_3453.jpg

I sprayed the bed liner and dropped the fuel tank in place.
DCP_3459.jpg

I finally have it roadworthy. I still have to finish painting the interior plastic, install a rear seat, overload airbags and a few other things.
DCP_3479.jpg

DCP_3468.jpg

DCP_3469.jpg

DCP_3467.jpg

Sick truck dude!!

Did i miss where you said how much lift it has?

i really do hate you! i have been day dreaming about building something like this forever

That thing looks top notch!! Nice work. How many hours you have in this project? Any issues with it to date? I only ask because I am in the middle of the same conversion on std cab.

OK, you got my wheels spinnin so much about puttin a cummins in one of these trucks i went and bought my start to the project.

162983_502082366519_586526519_6207134_1149298_n.jpg

That thing looks top notch!! Nice work. How many hours you have in this project? Any issues with it to date? I only ask because I am in the middle of the same conversion on std cab.
I didn't keep up with the hours but it was a lot. My neighbor did most of the paint and body so I owe him time on the build of his 67 Chevelle SS. First I installed the Cummins in the M1008 and used it for towing and weekend driving for a few years so that made the build of this truck easier.

I guess I had better knock on wood but I have only replaced the clutch master cylinder because it was leaking and it was a used part when I installed it. I do plan on getting rid of the marine injectors and go with something cleaner.

Is this a DD for you or just a toy?
I guess it is a combo toy and tow rig. Most of the time it will have my rock crawler in tow behind it. The longest towing trip so far was to Harlan KY 4 1/2 hours away. I do drive it some on weekends but it is not a daily driver.
DCP_3491.jpg

Did i miss where you said how much lift it has?
It has 4" rear blocks, Rancho HD front springs (2.5" or 3" I think), and 1 1/4" body lift. So it would be around 5" total.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

OK, you got my wheels spinnin so much about puttin a cummins in one of these trucks i went and bought my start to the project.

That is a sharp truck you have. To me the Cummins is the best mod you can do to one.

I have wanted to do a single wheel crew cab for like...ever! Real nice truck!

Sick! I'm in the middle of doing the same thing on my 87 Crew cab. Mine will be SRW short bed though.

Back