86 Fummins Build

Cool project! Crazy the amount of work ya went through to bring that old 12v back to life! I have a air dog fuel system on my donor from back before they had issues and now that I'm swapping that motor into my 97 F350 it's tempting to swap something in with a better track record.

Very cool.

Cool project! Crazy the amount of work ya went through to bring that old 12v back to life! I have a air dog fuel system on my donor from back before they had issues and now that I'm swapping that motor into my 97 F350 it's tempting to swap something in with a better track record.

Thanks guys! I havent had good luck with my airdog on my king ranch at all, I just put the 4th motor in it last week. I got a fuel lab system I built for that truck that I need to put on this week

I've been following your build for awhile and I never noticed it was a regular cab. :doh:

I've been following your build for awhile and I never noticed it was a regular cab. :doh:

haha we can just blame that on the dim lighting in the shop and the cab being black and blending in until just recently when it was blasted :Cheer:

had a little down time while my buddy who is doing all the paint and body got caught up on some other projects but this weekend we brought all the panels in the shop and got them all DA'd with 40 grit sprayed with epoxy primer. Should be bring and the cab and bed in tomorrow to do the same. Overall everything is looking solid minus one fender. Whoever did the paint job before I owned the truck really cut corners and there were two dents in the fender that stretched the metal pretty well and he just filled them in with bondo.

My buddy worked for a while to bring the metal back in and got it pretty good then we realized the top of the fender was completely rippled. So instead of having to use a bunch of body filler on that we opted to go with a new fender. Also the new floor pans, cab corners and inner rockers showed up.
10151761_10154022170120300_6963163370336604137_n
1505074_10154022169950300_8642216383879998685_n
1972443_10154022169570300_6234385610958285210_n
1016927_10154022169335300_7871901273962087763_n
1922084_10154022169170300_937748456321693193_n
1506450_10154022168935300_3233914899033708649_n

Now that we have all the paint here Im really excited for the way its gonna look. The red for the drivetrain is a really deep metallic red. Ive decided now that we are going to ditch the heater box completely to make it look cleaner and Ill use a vintage air setup instead. Yesterday we got the cab and bed moved into the shop and got to work on sanding the cab as well as removing all the seam sealer and rust sealing and just getting it all cleaned up and ready for epoxy primer.

Tonight we are going to make all the filler panels for the firewall since we are shaving every single unnecessary hole on the firewall as well as the hole for the cargo light on the back of the roof. Then the floor pans and cab corners will be done when we set the body back on the frame to fit all the panels

I will also start sanding and getting the bed ready for primer tonight as well and we will get the filler panel made for the rear fuel door. I also decided we are going to shave the tailgate handle too.
image by mattpopiel, on Flickr

Well progress is moving a little slowly but the top of the hood is in epoxy primer now. The cab is sanded and seam sealer removed. We got panels cut out on the plasma table to fill in all the holes on the firewall that wont be used to smooth it out some. I started tig welding those in last night.

The bed is just about completely sanded minus going back over it with 40 grit and got all the tabs for the moulding cut off and ground down, just need to fill in the trip holes. I got the underside of the bed and inside of the bed rust sealed as well. I also ordered a weld in roll pan from grant customs.

Progress has been a little slow lately, my buddy has had to get some other projects finished up. Saturday I worked on getting the firewall tig welded up. I got all the plates welded in for the HVAC and filled in all the unnecessary holes, just need to cut out the filler plates for a couple small holes still. I also filled in the alignment holes for the badges on the pillar and the 3 holes the previous owner decided to drill through the back of the cab to mount the amp.

Looking good.

Nice work. Your truck is coming together nicely.

Thanks guys!

Progress has been slow lately since my buddy doing the paint and body work has to finish up a couple other projects at the moment. I did get the rolling chassis and parts moved over to the shop though. Got the cab in primer as well and set it on the frame last night and we put the doors on and after some work got them fit perfect. Im gonna get all the piping and trac bars tig welded up tonight. My weld in roll pan from grant customs showed up so after that is on and the filler panel for the stake holes on the bed and rear fuel door are on it will be ready for primer.

I've been following your build for the last several months, your going all out. Looks great. I've got an 1985 Fummins with a P pumped 12 valve. It's almost complete, at the body's shop getting painted now. Should be completed next week. I can't wait to see yours when it's finished. Keep up the hard work.

I've been following your build for the last several months, your going all out. Looks great. I've got an 1985 Fummins with a P pumped 12 valve. It's almost complete, at the body's shop getting painted now. Should be completed next week. I can't wait to see yours when it's finished. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks!

Now that Im back from my trip I was over at the shop last night. Started doing all the fitting for the fenders, core support and hood. I also threw one of the new wheels on to see how it will look and Im very happy with it, the wheels came out perfect on the truck.

Back