902hp Common Rail Dodge Single turbo FUEL ONLY!!

2007 5.9

West Coast Dyno Modifier
Last night I was up late like a mad scientist with my tuning project sled pulling truck named "The Left Coast Hooker". Truck has been sled pulling for two seasons and has been gaining hp all along.

Last season we spent the entire season with a "Box Tuner" stacked with a TST box...made high 600's on fuel with a Single 71mm turbo, With the advent of EFI Live we were able to push those numbers to the mid 700's on fuel. A couple of months ago the owner decided to make a jump in fuel and air, he stepped up to large injectors and a single 78mm turbo. I'll also add that this truck see 100miles everyday as a commuter.

We spent a few hours a month ago on the dyno and with being very tired, I was able to get low 800's out of her...still on the track she was lacking hp to keep the turbo lit on the top end. With nothing ever being good enough for me, we decided to put her back on last night..and I wasnt stopping until i reached the goal I had origionally set when this latest combo was born.

After 10 runs last night I met my goal....901.69hp...truck ran perfectly and even had a little surprise for us. A local friend came down to watch the events unfolding and noticed we had a little red glowing flame coming from the stack in the upper end of the runs. So I watched the stack on the next run...and sure enough we had ourselves a beautiful 1ft tall fuel flame coming from the stack in the bed. Now I know that we were squeezing every last bit from this combo and that she was enjoying it very much.

When the night was over, the owner drove it home in delight..we have our next sledpull in 1 week...hes looking forward to it very much.

One thing that was very elating was the truck makes over 700hp from 2400rpm all the way to 4200rpm, and that we gained in certain places over 100hp from the beginning run of the evening.

I am here to say that without EFI Live this would have been VERY difficult to accomplish..but like I said...10 runs and it was done!!!

Here is the graph...blue line is first run of the night...and red line was the kicker!!!

img005-1.jpg

~Les

Congrats on the #'s. What size injectors is he running and how is the smoke on the street.

Injectors are 300hp extrude hones, smoke hadn't been gauge, as I drove home at night. But what I could see it wasnt bad, but les and I can still change low end driving characteristics...

Jason
Sbt/lcd

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

What rpm was peak hp?

3250rpm...

We've maxed out the load on our dyno. A single eddy current brake isn't enough. We will be on a dual brake SuperFlow next month. We should be able to move peak back to where it belongs with more load and better boost at the start.

Last edited:
What rpm will the turbo start to come on?
Can't wait for the sled pull video....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice....rpm is good! Headwork...cam?

Stock head, old hamilton drop in 188/210 107 lsa.
Have hamilton 110 springs, tight exhaust lash to aid spool up

Last edited:
What rpm will the turbo start to come on?
Can't wait for the sled pull video....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo comes in at about 2200-2400 rpm, started runs at about 20# boost

So, these big singles are good daily drivers with EFIlive tuning?

Jason,

Daily driving large singles is easier now with EFI over box tuners. Still need more fine tuning to get it better, but it's not your stock turbo spool anymore!!!

Last night I was up late like a mad scientist with my tuning project sled pulling truck named "The Left Coast Hooker". Truck has been sled pulling for two seasons and has been gaining hp all along.

Last season we spent the entire season with a "Box Tuner" stacked with a TST box...made high 600's on fuel with a Single 71mm turbo, With the advent of EFI Live we were able to push those numbers to the mid 700's on fuel. A couple of months ago the owner decided to make a jump in fuel and air, he stepped up to large injectors and a single 78mm turbo. I'll also add that this truck see 100miles everyday as a commuter.

We spent a few hours a month ago on the dyno and with being very tired, I was able to get low 800's out of her...still on the track she was lacking hp to keep the turbo lit on the top end. With nothing ever being good enough for me, we decided to put her back on last night..and I wasnt stopping until i reached the goal I had origionally set when this latest combo was born.

After 10 runs last night I met my goal....901.69hp...truck ran perfectly and even had a little surprise for us. A local friend came down to watch the events unfolding and noticed we had a little red glowing flame coming from the stack in the upper end of the runs. So I watched the stack on the next run...and sure enough we had ourselves a beautiful 1ft tall fuel flame coming from the stack in the bed. Now I know that we were squeezing every last bit from this combo and that she was enjoying it very much.

When the night was over, the owner drove it home in delight..we have our next sledpull in 1 week...hes looking forward to it very much.

One thing that was very elating was the truck makes over 700hp from 2400rpm all the way to 4200rpm, and that we gained in certain places over 100hp from the beginning run of the evening.

I am here to say that without EFI Live this would have been VERY difficult to accomplish..but like I said...***10 runs and it was done!!!***

Here is the graph...blue line is first run of the night...and red line was the kicker!!!

img005-1.jpg

~Les

Screw SSR!

Sounds to me like if you have a flame, you may be able to use some extra timing in the higher RPM. That will usually get rid of the flame and cool it down some.

Awesome numbers on a single turbo streetable truck though!

Sounds to me like if you have a flame, you may be able to use some extra timing in the higher RPM. That will usually get rid of the flame and cool it down some.

Awesome numbers on a single turbo streetable truck though!

Problem is...nobody knows the calculation for max timing allowed for non-re-entrant bowls and 124* spray angles yet. So until I know this value, the timing stays at 27*.

Plus we went from 27-28* and picked up 3hp...not enough to chance it.

I'm sure we could run low 30's but it's not for me to guess at...

Back