'93 6.5 dually

ATTABOY

My father-n-laws buddy just bought his first diesel, unfortunately he bought a bowtie, I'm a cummins guy and know nothing about the 6.5. I'm crossing to your guys side to reach out for help, what should we do first? I know the 6.5 is'nt a huge power machine but what can we do to beef it up a little and make a decent towin truck, besides put a cummins in it!!

Thanks for anything you can post

I'm at a bit of a loss on the earlier 6.5's We do need a bit more info like is it a manual or auto, 2 or 4x4, is it stock now ?

It's auto, 2 wheel drive and bone stock, actually it has an exhaust, not sure what yet, haven't looked at truck too hard yet

attaboy

Great engines "for what they were". 40hp marine nozzles, turn the pump up. Is it turbo or n/a, they offered both those years. NO oil squirters, pre-cup heads, small rotory pump (db2 stanadyne). Keep EGT's down below 1100 on a full pull(wot loaded). They do not like to lug, it's hard on the bottom ends, so keep rpms up. Drive it as if it was a gas engine. Check the balancer, they will go bad from oil leaks and time, and will wipe out a bottom end.
They are built light duty for a diesel, for what they were designed. I have one apart at the shop and everyone that sees it thinks the block is an aftermarket full tilt racing gas block.
Very heavy duty looking, until you find out its a diesel. 4 bolt mains, double roller timing chain, roller cam, shaft mounted rockers (like a dmax), BIG valves.

Be happy with 200hp/400 ft lbs. That's a pretty decent built 6.2/6.5 engine. But they are very reliable and cheap to maintain. Most people are haters because they had one in a 83 junked out truck that was abused and didnt' run, so they just say it's a junk engine.

You can get it to be almost exactly like how a 454 would run, only you'll get twice the economy.

I second everything he said. especially check the balancer. Heath diesel is your one stop shop for the 6.5 along with Kennedy diesel.

Yes, Bill Heath, Kennedy, also Penninsular Diesel (costly though). They've got some big 500hp twin turbo 6.5, I think they sell it complete for $7 grand. That would be an animal of a v8 early gm diesel.

He's going to be towing his toy hauler, not to heavy but we jus want what we can get plus being reliable, thanks for all your pointers!!! If anyone has any easy HP gains that would be cool too, thanks again!!

Back