93 IDI make an alright farm project truck?

yamaman

Hey everyone I have a 93 reg cab long box f-250 7.3L IdI lined up would this make an alright project truck. The fiance doesn't want me to do much more to this as it is our DD and we need it. So I was tihnking of buying this thing and modding the **** out of it. Is there any potential for this thing. Or Should I step up and find a 94 or newer Powerstroke? Any info on the topic would be awesome. It would also be used as a farm truck alot. Thank a million

For the Fact that theres not alot of Performance mods out there for the IDI's (Not the Most Power to be had) I'd say wait and look for a '94-up PSD

Bobus

Your not going to make a ton of power with it... but on the bright side injectors are only 20 bucks each

I am going to throw the b word out and say banks does make a sidewinder turbo kit for it that and tune the pump would get you some but not a F load

Hypermax does too, and you won't get flamed for mentioning them around here.

You can do 350hp out of them with the right stuff. Not a ****load of power but enough to have fun with.

I have a 300hp 6.9l thats been bored, has a Banks Turbo, '94 Injectors & Injector Pump w/ the pump Turned up..But in todays terms thats Less than a typical stock truck..No where close to the wild you can push from a Powerstroke

alright sounds good guys I might get this truck just as a beater farm truck and keep my eyes open for a obs powerstroke for a little bit of a tinkering truck. Thanks everyone

lol sorry always gonna be loyal to Ford. Thanks for the suggestion though

Its Navistar isn't it?

Ford doesn't own cummins or do you actually know that?

I love Ford trucks and love my Cummins. As for the Dodge rapper its a POS. The old IDI's are fun to play with and I love the way they sound. Have a 6.9 sitting in the barn for a rebuild.

I kinda dig the way they sound... sound like they're falling apart! LOL! LOUD diesel rattle!

the dodge wrapper really isn't that bad. I'm on my 5th w/ no major problems.

I'd sooner swap a Cummins into a Ford than waste time (no offense!) on an IDI

My Dodge wrapper is falling apart and fast. Everyday I go out and get to find another problem with it. For only having 120K on it I should not have to spend as much money to keep it on the road.

yeah, at 120k, it should be nice and tight. my current 98 is about to turn 200k, and it's pretty tight.

sorry for the thread highjack, but you DID ask if it would make a good project truck :)

Ya true I did ask if it would make an alright project truck but the farm truck part was in there also. So basically it should make a great beater truck

I had an IDI with factory turbo before I swapped in my 24v. My profile picture is actually taken when it was an IDI still. For a farm truck it would be very reliable and its cheap to tune it up a little. I had my boost cranked up to about 14-15. (stock was like 6). Had the pump turned all the way up and it only ran 1250*, beating the crap out of it. I also added on the ATS downpipe and turbo outlet housing that helped it breath a lot better, about $350. I think it ran just about as good as my buddies '96 powerstroke with an Edge and Injectors. And then when you get sick of it and you can swap in a Cummins. :bang

Back