'94 CTD trouble.......

20cumminsram05

Need More Red Bull...
friend of mine has a '94 12V auto, havin some trouble.

symptoms are as follows:

not charging, no tach, no speedo, no overdrive, no lockup.:bang:bang

we've tried new alternator, pcm, batteries, speed sensor... need help asap...

discuss, suggest....

Did you replace the crankshaft position sensor, or the speed sensor on the transmission? It sound like a problem with the cps, if that is the one you replaced did you set the gap to .050"?
Brett

I believe it was the speed sensor on the transfer case that he changed out... he's having a hard time finding a crank sensor at the local stores.......

I've seen them get corroded contacts before. Try unplugging the cps up by the #1 valve cover, use some contact cleaner and put some dielectric grease on it.

we're figuring it might be somethin stupid like that... we'll give it a shot.

anyone else have suggestions?

Did you replace the crankshaft position sensor, or the speed sensor on the transmission? It sound like a problem with the cps, if that is the one you replaced did you set the gap to .050"?
Brett

I've seen them get corroded contacts before. Try unplugging the cps up by the #1 valve cover, use some contact cleaner and put some dielectric grease on it.

tried cleanin to no avail... anyone else think crank sensor???

sensors

Did you check the one on top of the rear Diff, also if it has 2 wheel ABS check those sensors, also check the ABS switch under driver side battery tray, also check the vaccum switch on the firewall by the master cylinder, also make sure the brake fluid has been flushed,check all your vaccum lines for leaks, also Check the resistance at the ABS controller on the drivers side above the engine fuse box,Disconnect thebig coupler and check the resistance of the farthest right hand pair[ should be 1800 ohms] Pull off the right smaller connector and check both pairs of top and bottom wires [should be around 1100 ohms] Zero ohms on either one show a bad sensor or open circuit. Left and right speed sensors are exactly the same part number. It really helps if you can get your hands on a service manual, I have one, sure helped! Went thru all of the above and alittle more, and really can't say what cured the problem. Last resort dissconnect the batterys and see what happens

symptoms are as follows:

discuss, suggest....

Dua, forgot to metion:bang... we're not getting any DTC's either...

symptoms are as follows:

discuss, suggest....

Orb, I hope Lenny didn't put you up to this... Apparently someone didn't inform you that I have already chased through the entire wiring diagram of the '94 Dodge Ram CTD to figure out the problem. Mr Highfinance97 himself seconded the cause of the problem. (I had no idea this was a common thing) I already told the customer what steps must be taken in order to fix the problem..... There is no such thing as cheap, urgent, speedy, precise, free repairs...... FML ......

Last edited:
Orb, I hope Lenny didn't put you up to this... Apparently someone didn't inform you that I have already chased through the entire wiring diagram of the '94 Dodge Ram CTD to figure out the problem. Mr Highfinance97 himself seconded the cause of the problem. (I had no idea this was a common thing) I already told the customer what steps must be taken in order to fix the problem..... There is no such thing as cheap, urgent, speedy, precise, free repairs...... FML ......

o believe me i know it.... just posted on here for him for a few opinions... i know you guys were tryin to trouble shoot it, and i'm not tryin to step on anyone's toes, believe me... just goin by what len told me........... FMLx2:Cheer:

94CTDCluster.GIF

Back