94 half ton 12v water temp gauge says 225*???

ktmracer21

smart a$$
ok guys i finally got to drive the truck today... currently 44* outside. as i drove and the truck heated up the factory gauge rose to what ill call 220-225*. twice in my ten minute drive it dropped to 200* and then would go right back up.

when i popped the hood and grabbed parts when i got back it certainly didnt feel that hot...i also stuke my fluke thermometer in the rad and it read 105* to the truck gauges 180*. i realize the rad should be cooler but seems a lil far off????

lookin for ideas...thermostat bad? sending unit? being that it is a conversion....

thanks guys:rockwoot:

I'd start with the Sending unit.

BTW about time your get the Orange Peel out!

try pulling the thermostat and running it straight and see if the engine warms up. also sometimes if the thermostat sat dry for a while crap that built up on it will harden and cause it not to open.

Are you running the diesel or gas gauge cluster?

X2, gasser cluster won't work with the diesel sending unit, been there done that. We had the same exact results.

Tobin

well im glad i got the info here....after i posted i said screw it and went and bought a thermostat for 9.99 at napa and an autometer water temp gauge. the old therm looked like ass....

you guys are right though..the gas cluster is f'd up. im glad to have a quality gauge in her now. just came back from a night test..bein that its not inspected yet...whoops

phil....shes a runner...its been killin me not being able to drive it

wouldn't a gasser sending unit work so that the gauge cluster reads correctly? May just be a differnt signal from the 2 different sensors?

Back