94 Suburban 2wd 12valve 2 of 2 or is it 3

rs359

My brother and I have been working on a couple of 94 Suburbans for some time now this is the second one .We had an agreement he would do the driveline fabrication and i would figure out how to make everything work and do all of the wiring. I wanted to show a complete build but the camera that had the fabrication was lost. I will post what I have ,some pics may be of the first one as they were put together the same way. Keep in mind the truck is drivable already and it will go kind of fast then slow down as I catch up. Rich

Step 1 find a Suburban We chose 94s because of the old style dash (they changed the dash in 95)
0ded_3.jpg

15ec_3.jpg

0d2c_3.jpg

0ac2_3.jpg

Step 2 get a Doner truck it came in the form of a 96 4x4 5 speed truck with just over 100,000 miles . When I got the call from a friend that had heard that heard that I wanted a Cummins I was there the next day. I borrowed a trailer from a friend and drove around 200 miles to get it only to find the trailer was not long enough. After some creative use of chain binders, & ratchet straps it was on the trailer and I was in for a very slow scary ride home.:bang:hehe:
DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1409.jpg

DSCF1417.jpg

I had my motor but I needed an automatic I then struck a deal to trade the 5 speed, transfer case and drive shafts for this.....

DSCF1789.jpg

A 94 with a 47rh I also had an extra motor (which ended up in my 89.:rockwoot:

Now the fun begins .
1130081616.jpg

downsized_0914081651.jpg

We purchased two different types of motor mounts only to decide to make our own because they set the motor too high for our 2wds .

looks good man. one of these days your gonna be a pro at this lol. maybe you can finish mine since i dont have any time to work on it anymore lol.

Forest That could be arranged :hehe:
Thanks Chevycummins

By lowering the motor we were able to avoid a body body lift.
1213081550a.jpg
+

We then had to deal with a way to mount the compressor without putting it in an odd location.
0620091445-1.jpg

We did this by using an AC compressor mount from a Freightliner which mounted the compressor right under the alt . We used a GM alt to make the tach work along with a freightliner pulley. This will make things easier if we are traveling and need an alternator.

do you have any numbers off that bracket. i might be interested in putting the ac back on my truck if i can get the time to work on it. also i paid about 40 bucks and had a cummins alt turned into one wire and a tach pickup installed the other day so we will see how that works once i get it installed.

I thought about that but this way I order an alternator for a 94 suburban and change the pulley . Unfortunately the part numbers that I had were lost I am trying to get them from my brother if I do I will send them to you. I think its about 3 parts that are needed.

please pm me too with some part #'s too. i have the autoworld bracket. and i dont like being up top on the right. and i want to get rid of the body lift, it looks ridiculous. Also how come you like the old dashes?
thanks
Joe

The trans cooler would no longer fit up front with the intercooler so we used the GM oil cooler mounted under the truck with a relly good fan and a real strong bracket.:hehe:
downsized_1011081556a.jpg

Will do... I think that it came off of a freightliner FL70 with a 5.9 the main piece is the water outlet bracket.

We used the Original radiator unmodified to make sure we weren't beside the road grinding on a radiator trying to make it fit. The Dodge intercooler was used with a good bit of grinding along with the original AC condenser.
downsized_1120081800a.jpg

The hood latch bracket had to be modified.
downsized_1120081800.jpg

Here it is with the core support on and the brace installed on the front.
DSC_0008.jpg

can you order that dakota gauge cluster how you want it or is it just one version?

I chose the 94 for the dash in case I could not make the speedo work we could order the dakota digital to use a different sender . We used a 47rh not a GM trans , The dodge sending unit uses a different type of signal and after calling a few shops that did this swap I was told no one that used the mopar trans had been able to make the speedo work. I have all of the factory gauges working . This would also make any P pump engine legal if things were to go back to inspections. Rich

Back