94 to 98+ cab swap???

2141pete

Hell I dont know
I have searched but not really come up with much. I would love to have the newer dash and interior of a 98+ 2nd gen in my 94. I am just curious to see of those who have done this is it easier to get a junk cab and swap everything over or get a good complete cab and drop it on and be done??? I have seen this a few times on here but couldn't find any with a search.

I'd like to see what comes of this. I'm going to be pulling the complete interior out of my '98 quad cab and putting in my '96 reg cab, excluding the back seats, of course. Be nice to know exactly what I'm in for. I'm going to be swapping the rest of the trucks electrical too, at least underhood.

I have thought about just doing seats and door panels in mine but my dash is CRAP LOL. I am guessing my best bet would be to find an early 98 cab. Just not sure about wiring and all the associated crap.

If you can wire a stereo system and change a wheel you can handle doing a cab swap.

If you can wire a stereo system and change a wheel you can handle doing a cab swap.

I was thinking at work today that you would be the guy to ask on this. How much work is actually involved in just swapping everything from one cab to another. I assume everything would just switch over right?

A regular cab can be stripped down to bare sheet metal in just a couple hours, and not much more time for extended cab

A regular cab can be stripped down to bare sheet metal in just a couple hours, and not much more time for extended cab

but what about switching all the parts from a 24v cab to a 12v cab and making it work??? I have never benn farther than putting a stereo or gauges in a 2nd gen. Do the dashes unbolt and swap out pretty much the same?

I have no idea on getting a 24v gauge cluster working, i've never tried that, but the dash and everything should just be a direct fit. I stripped down a cab from a 94 and put it on a 98 chassis with the whole 98 interior. I didn't have modify anything

I almost bought a 12v with 24v interior, still had the 12v gauges though...

I just did this over the summer. If you want to convert to the 98+ dash you need to get a 98 12 valve wiring harness and pcm if you wanna use the newer dash and cluster. The 94-98 dash sends signals straight from the sensor to the dash where as the 98 will send the signal from the sensor to the pcm to the dash. But the 94-98 dash will physically bolt in to your truck with no mods. Looking back at it now I would rather of just used my old dash with the new interior. Getting the harness pcm and sensors was a pita. But I did it and its do able.

Good luck with whatever you do the new interior and cab is is sweet.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can also modify the instrument cluster from the 96 to fit the newer dash.... My buddy did it, its not the prettiest, but it works fine.

i just have a question, if you swap from a regular cab to a extended cab would you just have to move the back cab mounts?

you have to add mounts on the frame and change the rear axle stuff because a short bed wont fit on there right.

if you can find a 98 12v cab everything should match up

I definetley think that would be my best bet. I am just trying to decide if it is worth it. I may just end up re-doing the 94-98 interior.

I just did this over the summer. If you want to convert to the 98+ dash you need to get a 98 12 valve wiring harness and pcm if you wanna use the newer dash and cluster. The 94-98 dash sends signals straight from the sensor to the dash where as the 98 will send the signal from the sensor to the pcm to the dash. But the 94-98 dash will physically bolt in to your truck with no mods. Looking back at it now I would rather of just used my old dash with the new interior. Getting the harness pcm and sensors was a pita. But I did it and its do able.

Good luck with whatever you do the new interior and cab is is sweet.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

I thought the 94-97 cluster was shaped differently and wouldn't fit?? I love the 98 dash and the cluster is nice too, but it seems there really isn't much way to get the speedo working? Really getting tired of this massive crack staring me in the face and kinda want to change things up...Trying to decide if the swap is worth it, already have the '01 sport bumper and grill, getting ready to do sport head lights, might just as well finish it off with the propper dash LOL

Skip the 98-02 dash swap and upgrade directly to 3rg gen dash :woohoo:

I thought the 94-97 cluster was shaped differently and wouldn't fit?? I love the 98 dash and the cluster is nice too, but it seems there really isn't much way to get the speedo working? Really getting tired of this massive crack staring me in the face and kinda want to change things up...Trying to decide if the swap is worth it, already have the '01 sport bumper and grill, getting ready to do sport head lights, might just as well finish it off with the propper dash LOL
I just don't know i the swap would be worth it. I could easily redo the interior with new OEM stuff that is a direct swap, but messing around and trying to make different stuff to work doesn't apeal to me.
Skip the 98-02 dash swap and upgrade directly to 3rg gen dash :woohoo:

I have considered that but that seems like it would be a nightmare LOL

Back