95 12v 290,xxx

diesel_ram_man

Had this truck basically fall into my lap. Buddy got a great deal on the truck and he just wanted the trans out of it. (has a G56 swap in it) We are gonna swap transmissions he is gonna give me the auto he has now to put in it. Now the truck has 290,xxx miles on it. The truck it self is in pretty decent shape considering the miles. I want to make this into a nice truck.

Now what i'm wanting to find out is seeing all the miles it has on it what should i look to replace with a truck with this many miles on it. Like particular gaskets on the engine, that kind of stuff. I plan to rebuild the front end ball joints, bearings etc. I'm thinking since the trans is going to be out may be a good idea to go ahead and do the rear main seal. Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

Why do a head gasket if it's running just fine.... IMO get the updated top hat valve seals. Vac pump seal kit, vale cover gaskets, tappet cover gasket, rear main, timing cover etc. Those seem to be the big leaks on the 250k + trucks.

I would pull adapter plate off and make sure cam plug is dry before i reinstalled tranny...

Put studs in one at a time if you are going to hot rod it. The motor I'm running now has around 310,000, timing at 18 twins and decent fuel to make 60 lbs. of boost. The head gasket will hold to a point, just ask Will.

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely going to do the rear main when the trans is out. Once i get it moving and back home gonna start with the KDP fix along with timing cover and front crank seal obviously. Also will do the tappet cover at some point. Gonna give the engine a good cleaning so i can find out where its leaking specifically.

Another question, the previous owner had tapped a hole in the oil fill tube and ran a hose out it to a soda bottle. Anybody know why? was it to catch crank case gases or something? Is there a better way of doing that? That's not so rigged up?

Back