98 12v will not crank over

G1625S

A little background. I replaced the plastic fuel lines on a buddys truck with rubber line. Got it primed and started and ran well with no leaks. Let stand for most of the afternoon and fired right back up, so I figured no air leaks either. Buddy came to get it next day and texted to say it would not start. Apparently he cranked it till the batteries died, but now, even with full batteries, I get just a click when I turn the key. When I put my 'smart' charger on the batteries, it reads dead cell/open short in a/the batteries. When I disconnect the batteries from the truck, they charge fine. Would the starter contacts burning out cause the system to show a short? Any/all opinions welcomed:cool:
greg

The starter contacts got so hot that they warped and now make constant contact even when the starter is disengaged. Just a good guess. Test resistance between the hot post on the starter and the engine block/ground with the hot cable disconnected.

Thank you sir, will give that a shot. Gotta get this pig moved so I can plow out of this blizzard when it comes through!

I had a similar problem with my 24 valve this summer. To begin with, out of the blue it would just click with I hit the key. I messed with it and had someone try bumping the starter while I listened and checked things out. I eventually took out the starter relay and it worked for a while. I would turn the key, hear a click, hold the key about 3-5 seconds and the truck would trun over and start.

Then later on in the summer I put a cluth in the truck, and broke off a post on the starter putting in the spacer plate. Put a brand new starter in the truck, and nothing, just a click. Took the starter out of my 12 valve and both worked just fine.

Since then I have not had one problem with the truck starting, knock on wood. I had an idea the batteries were getting bad in my 24 valve, and recently replaced them.

I would say start with the obvious stuff. Maybe take your starter and get it tested. I was also told, at the shop I bought my starter from, that if your batteries are not putting out more than 12.4 volts, they are not strong enough to overcome the spring in the starter, and you will hear a click. Test the batteries with a voltmeter before you do anything else.

Thanks for the info. I will probably not do much with it today, as I gotta work tonight, but I will poke around a bit with the DVM. Wish this thing would fit in my shop, I'd have a lot more incentive[laugh] I knew some people in Shortsville years ago, small world.

No way, it is a small world. how long is years ago. My family has been in Shortsville for 20 years, now.

Late 90's early 00's. The parents of a young lady I dated in college lived in the area.

Back