99 FL60 mutt/conversion/repower project build

chris
does 37/110/148 tq sequence sound right for head bolts?
print date for said manual is 1986 figured I check to see if that is still current

Look at the head bolts, I'm betting they are torque plus angle. Should have a little icon on top saying so.

If they are, I'll have to look up those specs. Most new bolts are Torque plus angle.

Chris

Maybe a little over torque on them? 5.9 guys usually get them to 150 with some patience.

Maybe a little over torque on them? 5.9 guys usually get them to 150 with some patience.

Not sure that would do much. I know with Caterpillar 3406 head bolts if you torque them to 330ftlb and come back the next day you can hit them again. Each day they will stretch until they break.

With the ARP bolts you go 400ft lbs and if you try the same they don’t move the next day.

On a POS DT466 the difference between tight and broke is 40ft lbs. Want to guess how that was found out? Lol

No need to overtorque on an 8.3L, bigger problem is keeping the head flat, not keeping it nailed down.

Chris

Torque specs are from 70-107 ft lbs depending on the length of the bolt, plus 90*.

For the rest of your information. I'm sending the info to Adam.
Chris

Slacking.... Or at least feels like it.. heads off...
#4 starting some vertical score marks not Big enough to catch a nail yet... And only at very top of the stroke
Don't thing the injectors have been our for a while...
28616437_10214363931785713_20114156497648719_o.jpg

Last edited:
I keep Cummins reman sticks here for about $75/ea, or pump shop refreshed ones for $60/ea if you want...or at the very least you can pop them on my tester.

Just FYI,
Chris

I keep Cummins reman sticks here for about $75/ea, or pump shop refreshed ones for $60/ea if you want...or at the very least you can pop them on my tester.

Just FYI,
Chris
Got a hole gauge As well?
Would like to pop test them..
I have 5*.014 from Weston here but don't want to put those in until I get a bigger turbo and get timing figured out..

Can't you just pull some fuel if it's warm with the bigger sticks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah... I can either slide the cover back, install the fuel plate or tighten the AFC spring

My personal exp with a 12v pickup was I gained mileage when I went to a larger inj on a mild truck. Have no idea if it applies to a 8.3. Anything would probably be better than those inj you had, ha

My personal exp with a 12v pickup was I gained mileage when I went to a larger inj on a mild truck. Have no idea if it applies to a 8.3. Anything would probably be better than those inj you had, ha

Weston poptest the 6 I have now.. irrc they had 1-2bar spread across all of them between high/low
Curious as to what these do... I'm sure this 11mm pump isn't on it's A-game either..

#1 is on the right.. wall thickness on new head is alot thicker on the exhaust ports
28617155_10214367240548430_3534160990907616595_o.jpg

Well 5*.014" injectors, are in bumped timing 5° on top of what ever previous mechinc set it at.. total timing.. idk 16-17° if it was actually set at 11°. TQ pump nut to 150
Yesterday was a wash with government regulations requirements
Just realized setting valve lash at .025 is wrong so re-work .012/.024... Oops
Engine definetly has more compression resistance baring the Engine over... Which is a good thing

Back