A question about sleeving a block...

rightwinger

What is the largest sleeve I can have installed in a 24V block? I have searched this a good bit and people are saying that you can only bore a block
.040 over, but I'm not finding much information on sleeving a block. I'm planning on using a 6.7 crank in this block, and trying to squeeze enough cubes out of this block to get me to a 6.4L. I've read all kinds of stories or threads where people mention getting 400+ cubic inches out of a 5.9 block, but I have yet to specifically hear how they went about doing it. I've seen a lot of people speculate about how they think a person achieved this, but I would like to hear from someone who actually has sleeved a block to a substantially larger size than the .040 over. Any information would be appreciated.

That's some super secret stuff you're asking there. I wouldn't plan on much help.

A 4.125" bore can be done without sleeves or a deckplate on a wet 5.9L block, with some good planning it can live at a high level of power, the million dollar question is how long.

I've looked all over and searched a lot of places and have had very little luck even finding any information on this. Some places are even saying this block cannot be wet sleeved at all, but I've found several who claim they have. Its frustrating that something to me that seems like such a basic question is regarded as some secret squirrel stuff. I have talked to a few machine shops and most of them are only willing to go off what the Cummins service manual says which is .040 thousand over, I understand their take on this and they don't want the liability of doing some work and it not working, but I was hoping someone that had some success sleeving a block to a much larger bore would chime in. I was unaware that you could bore one to 4.125 w/o a sleeve.....thanks Smokem.

Smokem, at a 4.125 bore, would you have to order custom pistons or are there any companies making that size?

Yes we use a forged piston. My concern would be if it is worth the expense for your application.

Yes we use a forged piston. My concern would be if it is worth the expense for your application.

Do you think a 4.125 or 4.250 bore is worth it over a 4.056 or 4.036 when not running a deckplate?

You may be right, depending on the price for custom pistons it may not be worth it at all. What is the ballpark for custom pistons?

We have customer that is making 1800 hp mark with his 5.9. I believe he is either .020 over or .040 over. I really don't see any reason to do it if your not going to be above that.

Smokem, at a 4.125 bore, would you have to order custom pistons or are there any companies making that size?

Yes you can bore to 4.125 but your taking so much meat from the cylinder I'd be willing to bet I splits within a few runs. 4.040 bore will make the same power and be more reliable. ROSS, Arias, Mahle and others make forged pistons for that bore if your wanting to go that far.

Back