A1 studs and orings

freak007

This question is for a 1st gen, but since the block and head are essentially the same and you guys get more traffic, I am throwing it here...

Tomorrow I am installing my o'ringed head. I already have A1 studs that were installed this spring. When I installed them I. Torqued them on initial install, then hot torqued them as per the instructions, and the next morning did another cold torque.

Now with the o'ringed head and used studs, what torquing procedure is reccomended?

Thanks

I would follow the same procedure, maybe go up a little slower on the initial torques.

What do you mean? I always torque heads in 3 to 4 steps if that is what you are talking about... IIRC my studs called for a final torque of 125, so I would have done something like 40 then 80, 100 and finally 125...

Think a hot torque is fine on used studs?
How many retorques until I can boost it?

I can't see new or used studs making a difference in choosing hot or cold torques. Whatever you prefer.

I'd keep the boost low until the at least the first retorque. When I did my 12v last month, I torqued it up, and had to drive it home and to work the following day. Did my first retorque the day after that, drove for another week, did another retorque. Lash closed up about .005". Taking in account rocker ratio, it compressed the gasket another .003"

1. Cold torque
2. Bring motor up to temperature idling and gental rpm increases to 1500-1800 or so, hot torque without breaking nuts loose (if you used enough lube you should be fine)
3. Drive for a while being very gental avoiding heavy loads and hot torque similar to what was suggested in manner 2. If everything goes well you should lose lash and you should be checking lash during each tq imho.

Good luck

Well... your replies are about what I expected... A1 is very clear that they do not want you hot torquing 2x so I will avoid that...

I installed the head today at work took me 12 hours from the time I unlocked my tool box to the time I drove the truck out the door... I did not get a hot torque today.

When I installed the head I first torqued to 50 ft/lbs, then retorqued to 50 again (some had gotten looser since the first time), I then torqued to 80, and rechecked (none were looser), 110, and finally 125. I then finished assembling everything except the injector lines and coolant hoses (an hour or so) and retorqued to 125 again (none moved). I finished assembly double checked fluids and started the truck. I let it idle for 30-40 minutes and shut it down for 30. I then drove it home (45 minutes) being very gentle (under 10psi boost)

Tomorrow I will drive it in again and hot torque it. Then on Thursday I am taking it out of state. I have to pick up a couple snowmobiles in MN and haul them back to IL. GVW will be around 10-11K. I will not be able to do the second retorque until after I get back. Do you guys forsee any issues with this? Any limits on boost until then? I was able to hold 50psi before the o'ring job... I had not blown my headgasket (yet), I did the o'rings in preperation for mods to come *grin*

Well... just finished the hot torque... every nut turned 60-90 degrees... I hope this is enough for my weekend trip...

Not sure what you mean by hot torquing twice. Are you saying A1 told you to basically:
1) cold torque initially;
2) hot torque after idling motor/reving in place to bring to temp;
3) then drive it like you stole it
???

I would strongly suggest to add:
4) drive it easy for a few days after step 2 and then torque as suggested in my previous reply

I lost lash during each torque sequence which is a direct result of the o-ring crushing further into the fire ring of the HG (WHAT YOU WANT). Towing is absolutely the last thing I would do until the torquing procedure is complete. Just my opinion.

Okay, this is what A1's instructions say about retorquing:

Bringe engine to operating temprature
Retorque studs to 125# ENGINE HOT (ONE TIME ONLY)
Check/adjust valves
FOR BEST RESULTS: WE RECCOMEND THAT YOU DRIVE EASY FOR A WEEEK AND RETORQUE ON COLD ENGINE. REPEAT THIS WEEKLY PROCEDURE UNTIL THE HEAD GASKET IS PROPERLY SEATED. THEN CHECK PERIODICALLY.

When I did my stud install (15k miles ago) I did not drive it at all between the hot retorque and the cold. I was running 50psi of boost and did not blow the gasket. I am not sure though if the orings make it more prone to initial failure though...

I will not be able to retorque again until after I get back from MN... As far as "driving easy" and towing goes, my truck is fairly light (well under 8k), even fully loaded I will be under 11K. If I limit my max boost to 25 psi and do not sustain over 15psi will I need to worry? I really have no choice, I need my truck. I would like to establish a "safe limit" before I go though...

Back