? about TPS to POT conversion for a 95

brickwahl681

I've been reading about this lately. I have a 95 1 ton dually that the converter locks and unlocks in. I have the noise filter made but not installed yet. Will the POT coversion fix this issue or should I use the noise filter or simply wire the lock up on a switch?

Its the best $37 I've spent towards any tranny mods on any vehicles I've owned. I wish I'd done it sooner.

$37 for a POT mod? You got screwed.

Sure I paid full retail plus shipping, but I didn't have the time to source the parts and do it. I didn't see you on my thread CREED1 WTF when many people (myself included) felt I got screwed by someone down your way. :stab:

I haven't talked to Chris in 5+ years and I never saw your thread. And since when did a potentiometer cost $37? I bought mine from radio shack for $3. With wire and all I had maybe $10 in it. Now if only I could get the thing to work with my 01.

DNR Customs sells the one for $30something plus shipping. I looked into them, but ended up making my own for like $5 out of RadioShack parts.

I've been reading about this lately. I have a 95 1 ton dually that the converter locks and unlocks in. I have the noise filter made but not installed yet. Will the POT coversion fix this issue or should I use the noise filter or simply wire the lock up on a switch?

Yes the pot will fix it , I have a 95 auto dually too , to get yr pot wright u need to ohm it out and mark that position , I then installed a knob straight up knowing thats the factory ohm setting then while driving i would turn the knob to were i like it say from 40 to 45 mph and it doesnt take much and if u go past that point it wont shift into od , not on mine anyways but its not a stock vb , either way mark it some how , I got 12$ in mine all from R/S

Last edited:
Yes the pot will fix it , I have a 95 auto dually too , to get yr pot wright u need to ohm it out and mark that position , I then installed a knob straight up knowing thats the factory ohm setting then while driving i would turn the knob to were i like it say from 40 to 45 mph and it doesnt take much and if u go past that point it wont shift into od , not on mine anyways but its not a stock vb , either way mark it some how , I got 12$ in mine all from R/S

I know my TPS is set at .850 volts right now closed throttle. So wouldn't I set the POT the same way?

ya I would use that for baseline but I wanted mine to shift later so I turnd the knob say its at 2 o clock from 12 o clock now instead of the 30 mph or so shift now its 40 , U dont have to mess with that u can just hook it up but if u dont mark it and it gets turnd then yr lost on were factory is I did it like that the first time and I turnd it to much not knowing and I thought it didnt work until i marked it and started real small

Yeah with my tps set at .850 volts at closed throttle the truck shifts into OD at about 50 mph. Where it shifts doesn't bother me to much but that converter locking and unlocking is down right annoying.

When does it lock and unlock? anytime? over bumps? May not be the tps. Most likely it is the brake switch ( misadjusted or defective) or a loose/dirty connection at the tranny plug. Both have caused mine to do the same lock unlock routine.

It's more of a random thing. It's worse when there is alot of moisture in the air. I tried putting my foot under the brake pedal and lifting it up but it doesn't do anything. The converter still locks and unlocks.

It's more of a random thing. It's worse when there is alot of moisture in the air. I tried putting my foot under the brake pedal and lifting it up but it doesn't do anything. The converter still locks and unlocks.

Mine did that then I put a noise filter in line and it helped my truck but it didnt totally fix it then I cleaned up all the grounds and now its perfect...

Back