? about your built autos

TJSHOTROD

How does your auto shift? Mine really slams 1-2 and 2-3 and I have a friend that has a bulit ats tranny and his shifts really hard also. Do all built autos do this its really gets on my nerves lately?

It's a built auto, not grandmas Buick. Some valvebodies are worse than others but they all tend to shift hard.

My trans shifts firm, but not neck jarring hard. I dont like that in a DD either

It mostly depends on the valve body. My Goerends shifts really firm, but it doesn't slam unless the converter is locked. But when I had it built, I told Dave how I wanted it to shift. Even at that, the first VB went back for some tweaking, now it's perfect, crisp but not hard. Whether the tires holler or not, all depends on my right foot.

Light shifts are the tranny sliping. So hard shifts are good, but not to hard because it puts stress on it to. Get a pcs an adjust for your liking.

It also makes a big difference where your shifts points are at when driving light throttle... stretch the shift points out at light throttle and it'll break your neck on shifts, stack em up real right and you'll never feel em... somewhere in the middle is a happy medium.

You don't need slamming shifts to hold power. Correctly timed and firm shifts are the key to a long healthy transmission life with good maintenance procedures.

Mine shifts firm as well, light throttle is the worst though. My next truck will be a 6spd manual.

I have a manual vb, i can force it to shift smooth by throwing the gears early. Otherwise WOT shifts are right where i like them

On edit: both 1-2 and 2-3 separator plate holes are drilled to .125 in my valve body.

Last edited:
Under WOT my truck will bark the tires from 1-2. If I shift it myself it will blow the tires of completely from 1-2 and Bark them from 2-3. But I was told it was my valve body.

You don't need slamming shifts to hold power. Correctly timed and firm shifts are the key to a long healthy transmission life with good maintenance procedures.

This is 100% true. I tranny that bang shifts will break parts sooner or later. its not neccesary.

built trannies will shift harder than stock, yes, how hard they shift will differ between valve bodies, programming etc. I love my PCS controller.......

I would like mine to be easier, do I need to wait on EFI to tune shift points? Or rebuild VB?

I prefer a good firm shift, and when the converter locks, I like it to feel like I just got rearended by a honda.

How does your auto shift? Mine really slams 1-2 and 2-3 and I have a friend that has a bulit ats tranny and his shifts really hard also. Do all built autos do this its really gets on my nerves lately?

youre alive!! fag!

Back