? about your built autos

Mine shifts smooth, you can tell when it shifts but it's smooth.

I prefer a good firm shift, and when the converter locks, I like it to feel like I just got rearended by a honda.

I agree. My tranny locks rather soft, I got a dtt triple, I kinda thought it would lock harder, maybe georend set up the VB to lock smooth or I screwed up something when I rebuilt it. Holds the power fine, just wish it locked harder lol.

They build their vb's to shift firm, but hard. It helps keep the input in one piece also. You would be hard proessed to find very many people that have broken an input with one of dave's vb's.

You don't need slamming shifts to hold power. Correctly timed and firm shifts are the key to a long healthy transmission life with good maintenance procedures.

This.

Even in the race truck at ~1500hp the shifts are quick and positive, but never harsh. We go through a lot of parts at this level, but transmissions are NEVER one of them. We have even been running the same clutch frictions and steels for two seasons!

Last edited:
My Junker Drag Truck with the TV lever wired WOT and the line pressure hovering around 200 psi in the lower gears shifts good-n-firm!!!!!
The shifts feel smoother from 1/2 throttle on up because wheel spin soaks up the shock load of the gear shift.
It barks the tires on downshifts when coasting to a stop!!!!

I don't claim to be a transmission expert, but so far this one is holding up well to 1500+ ft lbs.

My daily driver is a little too firm on the engagement into reverse, other than that, it just firm enough to feel the shift but still smooth. Bang-hard shifts on a daily driver would suck!!!

Last edited:
My garmon stage two has great shifts, firm but nothing crazy. wot shifts are harder and put a grin on my face every time

Back